• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Scottish Baldric

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Almost unbelievable,, if almost anyone else claimed that work I wouldn't believe it.
That 312 stitches per inch is amazing, lol.
Begs the question though, at what point, #of stitches per inch, are we just creating a perforated line?

Regardless, that is truly beautiful work.

Thanks and good question. As long as one is using a thread size, awl size and needle size to accommodate the stitches per inch and avoids going crossways on stress areas the increase in stitch count is fine. Good thread properly sized and the use of an awl to make comparable holes for it fills in between the leather to make a sounf and solid piece. I do frequently use different SPI's on projects.
I have an old record somewhere around here of prices charged by saddlers in the 19th century and it was based on stitches per inch.

Bespoke Scottish cross belt (baldric) for sword. Based on a painting of Sir Stuart Threipland of Fingask 1716-1805.
All metal hardware is by my hand.

online picture uploader

What a Beautifully Bonnie Baldric! Exquisite Stitching!

James, a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you cast or use flat stock to make the brass slider? If flat stock, what were the width and thickness?

I imagine you cast the Heart? How thick is it?

What is the thickness and width of the straps?

Was there a reason why you punched a hole all the way through both sides of the frog portion for the locket?

Gus

..... the slider is one piece and joined in the rear.
IIRC the buckle takes a 2 13/16" strap.

Oh and the locket hole is only in front.

Is the following an optical illusion or do you have something in the frog that seems to be the same color/material as the background in the photo?

1619313496502.png

I kept looking at that and wondered why the tan/brown is showing through the locket hole?

Gus

I agree with the others who have already said it; that’s high art! If there were a dictionary with pictures, they could use your work for “craftsmanship”.

Back