• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial on its way...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Third coat of wax is now on. I'm getting a good buff between coats and it is evening out nicely. I'm going to start mounting up some of the hardware (thimbles, butt plate, trigger guard) so they can get a little wax in the last few coats. Now I just need to get some time to clamp my barrel and finish the draw filing and polishing before my horn kit arrives!

Well, I got the butt plate, trigger guard and ramrod pipes / thimbles mounted up again tonight. I made one error....on the first one, I had forgotten to run my punch through to clear out any cured oil and wax, and to ensure the water for the dye and the wetter weather as of late hadn't reduced the size of the pin holes.

Because I forgot, the first pin needed a little extra help, and I ended up using my smaller punch when I should have use my next size up. I managed to rough up the area around the hole :( Thankfully, with a dye / oil / wax set-up, I was able to fix up the spot so, while I know it is there, it is almost invisible.

The patch box lid is a little tight right now too, so I think the next coats will keep it in place so I don't add anymore finish beneath it.

Overall, it's really starting to look like a finished stock.

Back