• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

another season in the books!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Took the 62 for a walk in the cattails today..lots of sunshine ....
3-4 inches of ice no snow :( Already Looking forward to next year)

043.jpg

One of my hunting buddy's with our cattail safety device attached..tucked under the jacket into the belt.
(fiber glass bike flag)they work!
Good luck to those still out filling tags.

038.jpg

You can't be done yet. There's lots to do. I have another week to chase deer, and then we are on to bunnies. It's all good. As much as I'm looking forward to putting a deer in the freezer, I am really looking forward to running my beagle.

Stone Knife said:
That bike flag is a great idea, you can never be too safe.

We wrap the tucked in end with traditional duct tape for padding..Even in the tall canes everyone has a visual on each other at all times...We won't push the cattails without them.

silly goose said:
You can't be done yet. There's lots to do. I have another week to chase deer, and then we are on to bunnies. It's all good. As much as I'm looking forward to putting a deer in the freezer, I am really looking forward to running my beagle.

"Deer season" is over for me...Have a 36 cal. barrel on the way..will get after the bushy tails when the happy load is found...Have one 3 day late season grouse trip planned for Jan...looking forward to the snow shoe and flint smooth bore trail.
Have a flint 10 ga.kit to finish..and lots of other black powder projects to work on..setting up a kit for my nephew with the help of another member here....it's the next best thing to being in the woods and marsh.
Beagles sound like fun!..Good luck......Dan

That's a neat photo of your gear in an empty scene...does have an air of finality to it and IMO you have the right attitude towards it all...we just have to play the cards we're dealt each year and keep moving forward enjoying the hobby.
Saturday I had my first "fun" range trip in a few months and it was good to get back shooting for shooting sake again...planning to go again today if warms up a bit

I agree, that's a great pic. That type of picture is why I buy Double Gun Journal. :wink:

Ya know, one thing that I love about this forum is that it has exposed me to hunting territory that just boggles me as to how it must be hunted. From open, coverless plains, to steep, rocky mountains and now flat grass. I'd just be beside myself trying to decide what to do to hunt that!

It also amazes me how adaptable whitetail deer are (I assume whitetail). We have (non-hunting) friends in Dorchester Cty, Maryland and I have hiked in territory occupied by whitetail and little sika deer that is like our terrain, but flat and with waist deep mud in place of snow and the creeks are tidal. :haha: What a mess.

Great pics and a great tip with the flag. :thumbsup: Very nice looking gear :thumbsup: Did you make the bag?

Flintlock58 said:
Nice pictures! I too like that flag for marsh walks. Where did you get your 10 ga. kit?

Flint 58 ...Kit from Dunlaps woodcraft...

here's the proto type

rob1.jpg

this is the kit right from the box..PT me for more details....

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

BillinOregon said:
Dan: Sounds like you have some wonderful winter projects stacked up. Good thing for a 93-year-old to stay busy!

:wink:

What you say sonny????Speak up! Cant hear ya! :grin:

..wooda-cooda-shooda..started this 30 years ago!

Stumpkiller said:
Ya know, one thing that I love about this forum is that it has exposed me to hunting territory that just boggles me as to how it must be hunted. From open, coverless plains, to steep, rocky mountains and now flat grass. I'd just be beside myself trying to decide what to do to hunt that!

It also amazes me how adaptable whitetail deer are (I assume whitetail). We have (non-hunting) friends in Dorchester Cty, Maryland and I have hiked in territory occupied by whitetail and little sika deer that is like our terrain, but flat and with waist deep mud in place of snow and the creeks are tidal. :haha: What a mess.

Stumpy....Whitetails....we plan the hunt and hunt the plan..no deviation...
seen some of the big boys in the cattails..they love them..high spots with cannery grass and dry cane beds..they all smell like deer when we go through them...I can look out our large picture windows of the shack and watch them filter out in the evenings...all you have to do is carry a gun and they evaporate. :rotf:
The marsh is 3 miles long and 1.5 miles wide...in the past my cousin duck hunted open gun season weekend..at times he would see more deer out near the duck blinds than we did on shore. :hmm:

Need some snow for tracking..not this year :idunno:
other years with high cattails and heavy snow the deer would run under the snow covered tails low to the marsh..that's a sight to see. Like watching a snake go through the grass. The bucks are different they have a tendency to try and bound their way through..they tire fast and usually stop for just enough time to get a still shot. We have done this hunt for years and know about where the bedding areas are..work into the wind..the more wind the better..have had them brush my leg running by in the really thick stuff. It's all fun till they hit the ground..then the work starts...some years we paddle out to open water with the duck skiffs..get up on the ice and push toward dry land..makes for an easy drag when we get shooting out on the edge..drag them out of the tails into the skiffs and paddle them back to the shack.
You have to step on them to get them up..some years they hold very tight..I'm talking feet not yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
smo said:
Great pics and a great tip with the flag. :thumbsup: Very nice looking gear :thumbsup: Did you make the bag?

Smo No I did not..This was my first purchase towards a more traditional kit..it's from TOTW..

Swampy said:
Good times with good friends....thats what its all about. :thumbsup:
Thanks stumpy..You got it!..My buddy in the picture is the friend that lost his daughter 2 falls ago while we were out at the shack..He's just starting to come around ..Thank God! Good friends lots of exercise and good times..
Did I mention that we started the day with the usual shack breakfast!..Don't tell my cadioligist either! :grin:

Back