• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anti-seize compound for nipple theads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using Ballistol on my threads :idunno: mostly just cuz it is sitting right there while I'm cleaning. Not quite a well thought out choice :(

Are you still using brylcreem, since a little dab will do ya? (mid fifties to early sixties)

Bill

"
One tube of Permatex anti-seize will last about 10 years unless you have an arsenal. "

I have to buy the stuff by the case. lol

After cleaning my percussion guns and making sure the threads on the breach and the nipple are clean, a squirt of WD-40 has always sufficed for me. I don't crank down when reseating the nipple, just firm. I have never ever had an issue with removing a nipple from a gun or rusting.

Not needed in my humble opinion. I have been shooting both cap lock and flint lock for 10 years. In my experience I have never had a stuck nipple that I could not remove with a nipple wrench in the field. Clean yur rifle immediately after you have finished shooting for the day. Always remove the nipple and swoosh hot soapy water up and down the bore a few times then rinse with clean water and patch out until clean. Dry the snail well with a pipe cleaner. Reinstall the nipple on clean snail threads and you will never have a problem with a stuck nipple. Always clean yur nipple threads as well.

You can buy a little plastic envelope of anti-sieze compound for something like a buck and a half that is meant to be enough for a car/truck's-worth of spark-plug installation. Use a dab. Roll it up, put a black spring clip on it, and save the rest for the next times you use it. Why not...

Remove the nipple(s) every time you shoot and clean the threads -- really!? Not!

I agree with Snakebite. The best anti-seize is to just snug the nipple in place. Any lubrication will do. It really doesn't need to have wrist breaking torque applied to seat it. After all there is a hole directly to the powder chamber.

Latest posts

Back