• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Cannon Lock Firing Mech ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Scratch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up this old cannon lock that was recovered from a shipwreck about 30 years ago, along with some other stuff (a cannonball, bronze nails and spikes). I'm trying to pin down where it is from and how old it is. It looks like an English design, but the pan as a bit deeper than I've seen on other pics I've seen. I'm hoping this feature can help me come closer to a date of manufacture. Can anyone give me better info about this?

402180730.jpg

There are these 9 notches along the bottom, which I assume to mean this is from cannon #9 on the ship.

402180712.jpg

Looks to be an English cannon lock from late 1790's on.... the notches on it may be assembly marks these like gun locks were made in batches and was the parts were fitted they were given
a mark so the parts would be kept together....
I doubt the Royal Navy issued a specific lock to a specific gun most times these were attached and stayed on the gun unless it needed repair and it would be replaced from spares kept on board.

Back