• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique shooting bag ..... Photo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all, this is the shooting bag I picked up at the auction last week, it looks very old and the leather strap is super thin, there is a knife sheath on the back and two compartments on the inside, it is 8X8 inches, if anyone has any info I'm all ears. Thanks.

TheGunCellar
shootingbag.jpg

I am no expert that is for sure! One thing to look at is the type of stitching that holds it together. Machine stitching, could somewhat date the piece.

There is a book called "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" by Madison Grant, which should answer most of your questions.

Would be neat to break it down, date it and remake some!

Mule

I have studed over 200 original hunting bage from the 18th and early 19th C. By far they were made of leather on the thin side 3,4,5,oz., a few have ben very thin 2oz. The 2 pockets inside of it are rair, most did not have any pockets inside. The knife on the back is somewhat common. Shape and size are quite average. The flap (from what i can see) looks like it might be Burks Co. Penn.shape.
Nice bag wish I could see it up close.

E.Boyd ,Leather & Horn

P.S. Got a better look, NOT Burks Co.flap.

I had a bag that look similar that was found under the floor boards of a hewed log house in Kentucky not far from Boonesboro. There was also an antlered handled knife there too. The bag was hand sewn with sinew. Madison Grant thought it was 18th century.
I made several copies for friends. The leather was pretty thin on this bag too. It was rather small by todays standards being 9" wide by 8" deep.

Regards, Dave

I had a bag that look similar that was found under the floor boards of a hewed log house in Kentucky not far from Boonesboro. There was also an antlered handled knife there too. The bag was hand sewn with sinew. Madison Grant thought it was 18th century.
I made several copies for friends. The leather was pretty thin on this bag too. It was rather small by todays standards being 9" wide by 8" deep.

Regards, Dave
I needed to ammend those measurements the bag was actually 8" wide by 7" deep. It was measured last a long time ago.

Dae

Back