• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any 40cal shooters? Advice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all and Merry Christmas!

This 40cal left-handed Bedford just followed me home as an early Xmas present to myself. Never have shot anything much below 50s. Any tips/loads/tricks for the small 40 I should be aware of?

Any ideas how much FFFg she'd need to stay supersonic to 60-yards or so?

bedford1_640x480_164.jpg

As others will attest, being a non-swamped barrel (only item on my 'wish list' I didn't get ...) she is a tad muzzle heavy. But when not shootin' BP (now, when is THAT :idunno: ? ) I shoot heavy Schuetzen single-shot rifles, so muzzle weight offhand means nothing to me, in fact I think it helps my form and shooting.

Here's a set of data from my 33" barrel:

05/24/08
VELOCITY TESTS - .40cal Flintlock

GM .40cal 15/16” x 33” Flint barrel
1:48” round ball twist
.015" Oxyoke Oiled Patches
.395" cast lead balls (Eddie May/Georgia)
Wiped the bore after every shot
Pact Pro MK5 Chronograph at 15 feet
Goex 3F powder charges
Average velocity rounded off to nearest 5 fps

30grns = 1300 fps
40grns = 1400 fps
50grns = 1525 fps
60grns = 1620 fps
70grns = 1760 fps
80grns = 1940 fps
90grns = 1950 fps

Good Looking Rifle.
I use a load of 35 gr 3F with a patched .395 ball.
Out of my rifle it is very accurate. (39 inch Barrel)Itis a great small game gun.

By loading the ball over 45 or 50 grains of FFFg, it will still be above 900 feet per second out to 75 yards or so. That should do it for you.

42 inch X 13/16" GM barrel w/1 in 48 twist.

Mine shoots best with .395 home cast ball over .018" Pillow ticking soaked with Moose Milk and 50 grs. fffg Goex powder at all ranges up to 100 yds. I wipe the bore after every shot. You wouldn't have to, but if you use a tight ball and patch combo I believe your accuracy will be more consistent, at least it is for me.

I have two rifles with this barrel, one a flint and one a percussion. Both like the same load, though the percussion for obvious reasons is a little hotter.

The .40 seems to shoot fairly "flat" out to 100, but wind affects it quite easily and the one tip I'd give is to shoot in the wind and varying light conditions to learn to read it. It will be more noticeable with this caliber than what you're used to with the bigger bores.

BTW, that's a nice rifle! :thumbsup:

Beautiful gun, can't blame you one bit...My .40 has a 42 inch Ed Rayle barrel, rifle 1-48...I used .390 cast balls with .018 ticking and Stumpy's Lube...

My squirrel load is 25grs of FFF...I have shot as much as 70grs of FFF with the only thing changing is the elevation...

2 Douglas barreles per-suction and flint 7/8" forty cal 42" long. 1/66 twist. For most shooting (25 and 50 yards) I use 50 gr FFg, .395 ball and .018 ticking. For 100 yards go to 75 gr FFg and use same sight picture.

TC

For my 42" Green Mtn 40 cal, favorite load, used for targets to 50 yards, and small game hunting, is

40grns GOEX 3Fg
.395 ball cast in lee mold, or Hornady ball
Cut at muzzle patch of Wally Mart ticking boilde, then washed and dried on hottest settings
Lube is Moose Milk for target work, Tracks Mink Oil goop for hunting

For 75 yards I up charge to 50 grains, and for 100 yards use 65 grains, which just under max for the patch material in this barrel.

Now to make you jealous: my Gloucester grandpa left me two rifles: his beloved 52 Winchester, and the Ballard Pacific in 38-55 that his father left him. I took my first deer with the Ballard, using a cast bullet loaded with a Lyman nutcracker tool. I was 12 or 13, and he was beside me. Wish he still was.

PICT0388.jpg

My fairly plain Jane .40 TVM Lancaster. 30 grains 3f is very accurate at 25 yards as is 40 grains (30grns especially is a good squirrel load). for everything else I like 60 grains 3f. It has a 38" swamped barrel and handles like a dream, feeling lighter than it actually is.

I shoot 40grs. 3f Goex with either Hornady or cast .395 ball with pillow tick patch. This is general all round load for target and squirrel hunting. 42 in. bbl. You have a nice looking rifle hope she does well for you!

My little 40 calibre North Carolina gunne was made by Mike Miller. It has a 44" Rice barrel that Mike coned. I shoot 35 grs. Swiss FFFG, a .395" ball dropped from a Lyman mold. A patch 0.020" thick soaked with pure bear oil and FFFG in the pan. When I do my part it will do evil things to squirrels and crows.
Tom Black
Cantucky

011-1.jpg

This is a .40 caliber Vincent I built for my dentist, copying it after several originals. Note the sterling silver human teeth inlays. I tested a few .400 caliber balls at 50 yards from rest, see the target. This with 40 grains of Goex 3F. It sure did not like the .020 OxYoke patches, so I switched to the .010 OxYoke for my last three .400 balls. That being the only change, they were 222 fps faster and the group size was four times smaller. I don't know if this relationship would repeat, but it happened here!
170.jpg

That is a beautiful rifle you have there, Tom Black!

35gr of fff swiss is a good little load

@65gr of swiss fff and the little 40 is pretty impressive

Mine has a definite preference for the Swiss powder.

Picture036-1.jpg

For short range target shooting, stick to light loads, of 30-40 grains of FFFg Goex powder. For that 60 yard shooting, 60-65 grains of FFFg Goex should do the trick.

Tip for better performance: Us a filler, or OP wad between the powder charge and the PRB to seal the gases behind the ball. That will often add about 200 fps in velocity, but even when it doesn't improve velocity that much, the Standard Deviation in Velocity goes Way DONE, contributing to much small groups, when compared to simply loading a tight fitting PRB.

The other tip is to grease the bore. It seems to help reduce the SDV further, but only contributes a very little to velocity, so you don't have to worry about changing your sights.

You can grease the bore EITHER:
a. before you load the powder the first time, by running a greased cleaning patch down the barrel; or
b. Greasing the barrel after you seat the PRB.

I have used both OP wads, and fillers in my .50 caliber rifle, and saw a dramatic increase in velocity( 200 or more fps) and that decrease in the SDV. I also tried greasing the barrel after seating my PRB("b" above), and saw more reduction of my SDV, and further improvement in my group size. I am talking about shooting off a bench rest, now, Not standing on my two feet shooting off-hand. I was using my Chronograph, and without it, there is almost no point in trying these experiments. You simply are not going to see much unless you fire a half dozen targets off the bench, and only then will you get a Hint that what you are doing differently is responsible for the smaller groups.

These kinds of things are of interest to target shooters, but rarely to hunters. But, the two Hints I have given you here can be done at both the target range, and in the field.

I load my gun when hunting, when I get out of my truck. If the weather is bad, I may even load the charge in the barrel at home, or wherever I am staying. So, I can take the time to put the OP wad in the barrel, then the PRB, and then run a greased patch down the barrel. I consider MLing hunting to be basically a SINGLE SHOT shooting sport. I carry "stuff" to reload my gun "quickly" if such a concept can be seriously used when loading and single shot gun from the muzzle.

I will CUT CORNERS if all I am needing is a second shot to finish some game I have down, but not yet dead, from that first shot. That means, NO OP WAD, OR FILLER, and no bothering to grease the bore. That means Using a BALL BLOCK, and a PRE-MEASURED POWDER CHARGE in a tube I carry, to shorten the loading time. Those Coup de grace shots are normally taken at short range, where fine accuracy is not required.

So, when thinking about how to maximize performance, consider how and where that performance is going to be required, and load your gun accordingly.

Expect to have to make small adjustments to any given powder charge when target shooting, and hunting small game, based on changes in the temperature and humidity. And Adjustable Powder measure is priceless, as are frequent trips to the range to note what various conditions to your POI for your groups, even at short ranges. Keep a notebook on those changes. My brother shoots with an older Champion ship shooter, who has at least 4 notebooks he has kept over the years about various loads and performance. He only recently discovered the value of Pete's chronograph, to cut the time in learning these things. He can now go to the range, Fire a couple of rounds, make his adjustments, and proceed to cut the 10X ring with annoying consistency thereafter. Before the Chronograph, it might take him half a dozen shots to get to the same place, using his notebooks and the nearly 50 years of information he has gathered shooting Mlers to get to the same point.

Welcome to the .40 cal flintlock. They are beautiful killers. I shoot targets and small game with 30 grains of 3f and a .395 ball. This load will pick the head clean off of squirrels. I shoot 60 grains for deer. I killed a 4 pointer this October at 65 yards with this load. He ran 25-30 yards before giving up. The .40 is good for anything on the East coast within its range. Good hunting!

Interesting topic. Thanks for all the info! :thumbsup: I do not want to change the topic, but I am saving up for a TVM rifle, and I am in doubt if I would be better of to buy a .40 cal or a .45 ... I will certainly go for a 42" swamped barrel.
I will shoot only target at 50 meters and a few times a year up to 100 meters.
Is the .45 not better for the longer distance?
And is there a difference in barrel weight between the two?
Merry Christmas to all!
Thanks for any further info...
:thumbsup:

S Tanaka,
Boy I don't know how much help I have to offer :hmm:
I have 2 .45cal and I am proficient with them
to 50 yards.75 if the light is right.Old eyes require such things,at least in my case. Having said that,and never having shot a .40,I would still go with the .40 if you are going to use it
as a range or target rifle.I say this from reading
and recommendations from .40 users.M2C
snake-eyes :hmm:

I haven't shot a .45 in 25 years so what comparison I have is faded. I have nothing against them.

The 75 gr load I use in my .40s for 100 yard shots chronographed an average of just over 2100 fps from the 42" barrels. It ain't in the wind long!

Even at that velocity, the 40 is a little light for deer sized game past 60 or so yards. No exit on the 2 I shot. Good friend Larry Leggett used his .40 in shilouette matches at San Antonio and took down 100 yard steel w/ good hits. .40 was there FAST. There was a noticable difference between .40 and bigger calibers when listening to report of the gun and strike on steel.

Put your $ in barrel and lock. A plain stocked rifle that shoots great is more enjoyable than a fancy stocked rifle that won't reliably go off or isn't accurate.

Good Luck
TC

Latest posts

Back