• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Aussie hunters out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hender

32 Cal.
Reaction score
For many years I've been interested in old style hunting. I've recently acquired a flintlock, a super accurate Pennsylvania longrifle. The guys at the local muzzleloading club are very friendly and helpful but no-one seems interested in traditional muzzleloading hunting. Is there any groups/clubs in Australia out there that focus on muzzleloading hunting/trecking and the associated skills? The guys (including my sons) I hunt and camp with are great but they use hi powered modern rifles with scopes etc. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I do most of their rifle tuning and reloading, but its a different culture.

As long as you know how to properly shoot, clean, and maintain your gun that's pretty much all you need to know. You mentioned you are already a hunter so you know all about that but the only difference is you need to get close enough to whatever you are hunting that you can shoot at a distance you feel comfortable shooting at. :thumbsup:

We have several members on this forum from Australia. I don't know about local clubs. Google for a national organization. If you stay on this forum long enough, the other Aussies will find you here. Welcome to the forum. :grin:

I hunt with muzzle loader regularly, but I am not a member of any club or organisation with that aim. I am moving toward hunting all larger game (i.e. deer) with traditional mlr, though percussion rather than flintlock. Good marksmanship principles don't change, however is there anything in particular you wish to flesh out or know?

I'm interested in finding other local muzzleloader hunters to share information,and possibly arrange joint traditional style hunts. I am not particularly interested in trophy hunting,but I can understand why others do. I prefer to hunt for meat and skins. I've started tanning skins and am learning some very basic leatherwork.. I find great satisfaction in the whole traditional way of doing things. and I've gotten tired of centrefires, camo's, scopes and discussions about the latest in tactical equipment, so tend to hunt alone.

hi .there is areasonable ml following in aust. join the ssaa if you arenot a member already,S.A. has the best ml shop in the country greenriver at cumberland park. best advice i can give you is to get in with your local ml crowd ,mix and learn, this site is brilliant,but just remember a lot of gear the yanks have is hard to find for us. you must check out alan at green river he is honest no bs and mail orders countrywide :thumbsup:most of us that hunt with ml are involved in the target and vous side so look there for your new best friends,welcome tothe dark side

I hear you on the tactical camo thing. Life is complicated enough without complicating my hobbies as well! I may be moving to Victoria next year, so if I do I will definitely be organising some ml hunting.

Any Aussie hunters out there?

Deer, small game, waterfowl,.... nope, never hunted Aussies. Do they make good eatin'?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :haha:

Good luck finding other like-minded Aussies to hunt with.

Back