• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Buck shot hunters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't say it's my primary load, but there are situations it's the best, most deadly choice. I've found most who argue against it either don't use it or don't use it in the correct situations. For close deer, inside 40 yards, particularly jump shots, and for deer in very thick cover it can't be beat. Open woods when you'd have time for a well placed shot stick with one projectile loads.

It's legal in my county. Use it mainly for sika, which I'm hunting in marshes - 3 foot deer in 3 1/2 foot tall grass and reeds - so it's a big help, espcecially when jumping them. A huge stag may go 100lbs dressed, so they aren't big deer, but whitetails live in the same areas and they go down just as hard. It also seems like folks who are used to shooting shotguns do very well with buckshot, just closer to how they're used to shooting.

For BP I've got a 10ga sxs, loading each bbl with an empty 20guage shotgun hull of Pryodex, topped by another empty hull full of 00 buck, about 20 pellets. Not a pleasant range load, but patterns well and very deadly. At 20 yards it's shooting a 10-12" circle and eats through 2x4's.

:youcrazy: Pauldingalingham :youcrazy: , did you EVEN TRY TO READ my post?

The words "changes" and "redefines" are key to its meaning.

I just thought it was interesting that the Dixie company is revisiting the knowledge of old, and packaging it in modern smooth and rifled bores.

According to various State laws the Triball is BUCKSHOT.

Nothing wrong with buck shot if one remembers what it's for, and where and when to use it. Funniest damn thing I've read on this forum is a very very long time....

"Buckshot is the biggest cause of wounded / slow death for deer, deer hunting load there is other than the broadhead".

I have had more "I know everything this rifle can do" center fire and modern inline hunters turn a four legged deer into a three legged cripple by tackin wild shots that they had no business taking than I ever had bow hunting or traditional sidelock hunters take. That includes smooth bore trade guns, brown bess's and fowlers. Buck shot has it's place, just like every other hunting load, it's up to the person behind the butt stock to figure out where it's best suited.

MICANOPY: I suspect experiences vary depending on what part of the country you hunt. I have seen far too many deer killed during the gun season brought into the deer check station with broadhead wounds festering in legs, and shoulders to question Roundballs statement. We can't use buckshot here, so I won't comment. I did get a box of 00 buck and used them up on the pattern board, to see what was possible, and then fired the rest of the box off into a deadfall tree that was blocking the river,and eroding our bank. Knocked off some bark, but otherwise did little damage to the trunk. I was not impressed with the penetration. I am sure it works on humans, and on game at extremely close ranges. I have hunted some areas where deer were taken at 10 feet and less simply because you could not see any further, so I understand the kind of hunting conditions where using buckshot is warranted. However, the deer I saw taken in that thick stuff died quite nicely with a single shotgun slug to the lungs. When I was a kid, it was still legal to use buckshot to shoot red fox, because there were bounties paid for their ears. When the state repealed the bounty laws, and put the fox in the protected species category, buckshot was soon outlawed for use in taking any game, other than unprotected species like Coyote. Now, Illinois has clouded that issue by making a coyote a fur bearing animal, controlled by its trapping regulations. Buckshot apparently is for shooting people, only. We regularly warn Hunter Safety students to check over the entire deer carcass before gutting the deer, to avoid being serious cut on any broadhead that might be in the body cavity. And, you are correct about too many poor shots resulting in broken or amputated legs, and other crippling injuries. Those kinds of bad shots are factored into the kill quotas by the States when setting season, tho'. All we can do is encourage hunters to practice shooting, and to know their limitations and stay within them when they hunt. Accidents will happen. A ball can be turned by an unseen twig or branch, causing a bad wound, when it would have been a good killing shot otherwise. Those are the rough ones. I think you can not say you are a hunter until one of those kinds of shots happens to you. You try to follow up and find the animal, but weather can close in, as well as daylight ending, that terminates any reasonable chance of finding the wounded animal until the next day or so. I have helped hunters track down deer they have shot and lost, and they are always upset when I first meet them, and thrilled when we find that deer. Good hunters accept that responsibility, and those feelings are to be expected. Its the slob hunter who never follows up anything he shoots at, even to see if he did hit it.

I had a friend who was hunting on one farm when a deer staggered up a game trail towards him with an arrow in it. He killed it with a chest shot at about 15 feet. Then he tracked it back to where it had been shot on the neighbor property. He looked up and saw a guy sitting in a tree stand, who had not bothered to say anything to him as he approached or even complained that he was in his hunting area. My friend aske him if he shot a deer about 15 mintes ago, and the guy admitted he had sot at a deer, but " didn't think he had hit it because it ran off!" My friend made the guy get down, and come over to the kill site, and put HIS tag on the deer. Then they got his truck, and my friend helped him gun and load the deer on the back of the truck. My friend was furious. In conversation, the guy indicated he just planned to sit there shooting at deer, until one of them fell down in front of him! That is the kind of hunter that we can all do without.

Is it the kind of hunter we can do without, or the type we need to educate? I've met very few hunters who din't care at all, but lots who just didn't know any better. We all forget sometimes that we didn't walk into the woods knowing everything, there's a learning curve and we all began somewhere.

There's been several reputable studies by game departments and wildlife researchers that all showed there is no statistical difference in wounding/crippling rates between the weapon types. The bigget difference was a higher proportion of archery wounded deer survived, which is why it's more common to find surviving deer with broadheads than gun wounds.

Micanopy said:
Nothing wrong with buck shot if one remembers what it's for, and where and when to use it. Funniest damn thing I've read on this forum is a very very long time....
"Buckshot is the biggest cause of wounded / slow death for deer, deer hunting load there is other than the broadhead".

Anybody that's been around deer hunting long enough, particularly dog hunting clubs, knows buck shot is a known crippler because too many people DON'T use it within its limits.

So I'm glad you found my statement humorous but in spite of your vulgarity my statement stands.

I don't use a shotgun to hunt deer much anymore, but when I do I limit the range to bow range (20 yards) and use only 00 (000 in my 10 ga). We can't use buckshot on coyotes here so I don't have much use for anything smaller.

Many yrs ago buckshot for deer hunting was outlawed in Wisconsin and rightly so....imprecise sight {front bead}, lower power loads and the tendency to "reach out" beyond the killing range. I don't propose that buckshot should become legal once more, but w/ the advent of magnum 000 loads, better sights and and if used within 35 yds., I think 000 buckshot could kill deer cleanly. It was always a puzzle to me why shotgun slugs weren't also outlawed at the same time...using a bead front "sight" w/ no rear sight wasn't a very precise sighting system either and I have personal experience as to how difficult it was to hit an average sized box at 30 yds. The slug guns presently used today are nearly as accurate as a rifle. In order for a mag 000 load to be effective, the pattern should be small, so why use it in lieu of a rifle? As to the crippling effect of 000 buck vs slugs and bullets, I don't think there's any definitive data....lots of opinions and anecdotal stories but no hard facts. Many deer in Wisc. are shot at ranges exceeding 50 yds. and due to the tendency of some hunters to judge distances incorrectly, I think even the mag 000 loads would cripple too many deer. The human factor is present irregardless of the guns/loads used....Fred

The Dixie Triball load changes my concept of "Buckshot" Three .60 cal balls kinda bridges the gap between buckshot and slugs. So dont turn your nose up to all buckshot. Using turkey full chokes the triball redefines buckshot ranges and killing power.
I developed a 50 yard 00 buckshot load for my 12 gauge _____muzzle loader with its jug extra-full choke. I killed three deer last season with only one shot and the last one was at 50 paces. Of course I gave her a foot of lead and six hit the vitals.
I'm working on a buckshot load for my new side by side 12 bore muzzle loader with modified and improved choked barrel.

Now that I've got my .311 mould for my squirrel gun, this tbread has given me tbe idea that I may just try using my smooth bore with buckshot this season. I'll weigh out a 1 ounce load of balls and use the same charge I use for my one ounce pheasant loads. Id say I'll get at least 5 may be 6 .311 balls to an ounce. I'm going to weigh some out tonight to check.

No buck shot here especially for deer if you have too use a load of buck for deer especially as some say jump shooting them or look for wiggling grass and shoot I for one do not want to be near you, Buck shot is used for one thing a man stopper then at close ranges.

What are your thoughts on buckshot? It's one of those love or hate things I guess, some guys seem to think buckshot is a sort of inhumane hack-hunt technique. To me it's the best way to take flushed deer who are moving or stopping momentarily. I say its better to spray 3-4 pellets through the lungs than one slug through the guts.

The law in my state forbids it, because years ago too many of the guys using modern guns wounded too many deer that then slowly died of infection or other complications from their wounds. In a cylinder bore gun..., which is what we mostly use.., it's good to 25 yards. Pretty good "on the street" for two-legged predators, but not so much for our present standards for humane harvest of venison.

LD

No buck shot here especially for deer if you have too use a load of buck for deer especially as some say jump shooting them or look for wiggling grass and shoot I for one do not want to be near you, Buck shot is used for one thing a man stopper then at close ranges.
You're making it appear as though a person taking a deer by using buckshot is doing so by unethical means. Thats not fair at all. There are many hunters who humanely take deer each year by knowing the limitations of using buckshot, and who do not take risky shots. Just because you may not like it doesn't make it wrong.

And what's the difference if somebody jump shoots at a deer with buckshot or a single ball? Either one can be risky or successful depending upon the skill and judgement of the shooter.

As long as its legal to use, and the hunter is responsible, I see nothing at all wrong with using buckshot.

Each person has there own standards, I just made a observation based on years of deer hunting and things that I have seen, Actually one should not shoot anything if you are not sure of a clean kill, Especially the so called jump shots, I do think using buck shot is unethical for hunting. If you want to just sling lead pellets at a animal hunt rabbits and squirrels or birds and use regular shot. As you stated (and the hunter is responsible) there in lays the flaw O do not worry I am using 00 buck that critter does not stand a chance, is the mentality you refer too. Like I said keep the buck shot for two legged critters and then be damn sure you know what your doing with that situation.

Ethics is an applied word encompassing the whole. Again, just because one person thinks it's unethical really means nothing. Youve a right to enacting your own standards to yourself, but that's it. If the law allows its use, and a hunter decides to use buckshot, thats it period. It's not your place to pass judgement on that persons choice, or his ethical standard. If you dont like buckshot then dont use it but don't condemn somebody else because they choose to use it.

Really Sidney I never condemned anyone or attempted to decree my standards on anyone, Just my observations too which I will stand bye. I do believe if there was a survey as to the hunting ethics of using buck we would be surprised at the numbers. Stands to reason why there are limited areas allowing its use. I will stand bye my standards of if not sure you can make a clean kill with one ball do not take the shot do not depend on 9 balls of 00 buck shot to make up for the inability to attempt the shot. Apparently you are a buck shot type of hunter and that's fine. As I stated and I will stand bye my preferences as to hunting projectiles, really do not want to turn this in to a pis@@@@ match you shoot yours and I will shot mine.

Actually I am not a buckshot hunter, because I do not need to be as I have several rifles to hunt with. That being said, in the area I hunt, shots are close, usually 30 yards or less. Buckshot is legal in my area. I can see it as a viable alternative to single projectile ammunition.

My grandson killed his first deer on a farm using buckshot. He was using buckshot in an area that was close to a farm and the landowner told us not to use rifles because he was concerned with range issues and felt more comfortable with us using short range ammunition, to which we obliged. Is there anything unethical about that?

I’ve experimented with buck and ball load. However looking at the targets I’ve thought a .62 through the chest makes any other wound unnecessary .
Buck was used in the old days, but I don’t think they were as concerned about quick clean kills then as we are now.
The range of a smooth bore is very limited. If your close enough to use buck a ball will be be more effective

Great for you and especially your grandson on his first deer, like I stated if legal do your own thing, Looks like your hunting for a argument to which I will not oblige you, I have my opinions and stand bye them. With out getting to far off topic and into the un-mentionable weapons look up some recently passed hunting regulations on using straight wall cartridges in states that were only slugs and buck shot legal, As far as I am concerned this discussion is now a mute issue.

Back