• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Buck shot hunters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I used to hunt here in Virginia, its buckshot only, when using the muzzy i switch up to 10ga and went with either 1 or 0 buck worked wonders and the club always knew who fired;)

It's not your place to pass judgement on that persons choice, or his ethical standard.

Actually whose place is it then? 🤔

Does not the voting public when they elect representatives that then forbid the use of buckshot for hunting, do the same thing? How is one individual's "judgement" different than the collective judgement of 50.0001% of the population in a particular regulated area? Is the person who lives in Lost Springs Wyoming, the smallest incorporated town in the United States, somehow bad if that person forbids the use of buckshot on deer within the jurisdiction of the town? That's just one person's judgement. Appalachian Hunter expressed what was obviously a personal opinion when he wrote, "... if you have too use a load of buck for deer especially as some say jump shooting them or look for wiggling grass and shoot I for one do not want to be near you, Buck shot is used for one thing a man stopper then at close ranges." It is you that is choosing to view what was written as an ethical judgement on others. He expressed a personal desire to avoid another who is using buckshot; not that all people should do so, nor did he imply that those doing so should stop using the buckshot.

LD

He implied, matter of fact, said using buckshot is unethical. That statement was opinion based, and derogatory IMO to those who choose to use buckshot. So he did make a judgement.

Not derogatory but my opinion and I will stick to it. We are entitled to opinions are we not? Now do not get excited about the next comments as they are used as examples. If I would of said the use of buck shot for deer is a excuse for poor shooting skills, the use of buckshot is a excuse for the inability to properly hunt deer, you got the idea. I was not going to respond back to you Sidney but thought I should clarify what I said.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first started hunting back in the late 50''s in NJ, buckshot was the only game in town. from what I remember Jersey was densely populated even back then, those in charge felt that rifles and slugs traveled too far and might hit a house or worse. Funny thing when i was old enough to hunt on my own I bought licenses to hunt in NY, and PA where you could use a rife. Now that I live in PA I hunt with my smoothbore, go figure.

Back