• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any gobblers yet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:what:Try waiting till May 1st :cry: and the birds should start gobbling any day now

I'm in Fl..but not far enough in for the South Fl. March 5th. opener.
Got to wait till March 19th. where I'm at.

I gotta wait til the 19th too (live in the March 5 zone, but hunt in N. Fla.). Already got the decoys in the backpack and am practicing with the slate and box calls! :D

Scheduled up to take my 2 boys on a 2 day youth hunt in Ky. They are STOKED! ok, ok, I AM STOKED TOO!! :haha:

I am also hunting my first time in Mississippi this spring with a couple of great guys, so I can't wait. Some crappie fishin', some turkey hunting, and a lot of B.S. :D

Good luck
Wess

Here in Alabama or at least in my part of the state it is March 15th. Never tried to call a Turkey before. But am going to give it a try on the 15th.
Old Charlie

We got 20+ inches of snow and still snowing although it did warm up and settle some yesterday but a wind chill of -6 today.
I just filled my turkey feeder last week and they have visited it since so it may help them out some since there is a crust under the snow we have that they have to did through to find something to eat.
Looks like about 15 to 20 birds visiting the feeder now. hope more find it too.

Woody

4-29-03d-mangorilla.jpg

Our season in TX doesn't start till 3/26. Will be in Kenedy Tx chasing them. I'm all tuned up & can't wait.

This is a picture of a very large rio I killed in Tarpley.
Hind sight: If I had registered the bird, it would have ended up approx. top ten largest Rio in Texas.

This ol' boy here is fixin to bring one home! But, he's gonna have to wait till I kill one first! :D

WessFlinterHunter.jpg

I don't think he'll move any though, so that turkey won't spook!!! :haha:

Going scouting for turkey on Saturday and I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Wess

Plannin' on being in the woods the 1st of April. My buddy and I are taking our kids and timed the Spring Gobbler hunting trip to coincide with the SE Rendevous sponsored by the Jefferson Longrifles. Turkey hunting and a Rendevous, can't wait! :D

Here in Missouri the season starts April 18 and runs until May 8. Been out looking and listening, no gobbling at this point. They will start up by the end of March of first of April. Still trying for that first spring gobbler with the CVA Trapper. Calling is not very good, but I been practicn.

2006 I might be willing to trade a fair chase opportunity for MO Gobblers for a chance at a CO elk.

Waya

Mowolf-how's that CVA Trapper pattern? As for turkey callin', you don't have to be perfect to bring that old gobbler in. And sometimes, less is more :imo:. Just 4 to 6 yelps on a box call (chalk it up ahead of time) about every fifteen minutes has worked for me. Of course, if he starts callin back then you might pick-up the pace! A friend of mine who is real good at it told me he likes to make the gobbler call twice before he answers (Kinda like playin' "hard to get". :winking:)And I've had several toms show up without responding vocally (probably thought, "that's a weird soundin' gal :haha:). Good luck :redthumb:

The trapper patterns very good out to about 50 yards. On a Conservation provided Turkey pattern target I get 10-12 pellets in the head and neck area at 50 yards at 25 yards the head and neck are practically obliberated. Some what better than my modern SXS 12ga. The one thing I am not crazy about is that it has the screw in chokes, but that might be the reason it patterns as well as it does. Couple of years back the family got togather for a winter meal and trap shoot on the back "40" at my borther in laws. Must of had about 12 people shooting, I was the only one with the "funny smoking thing". Did respectably with the Trapper :blah:, until they started putting 2 clays on the thrower, ::

Waya

Latest posts

Back