• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any gobblers yet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a Conservation provided Turkey pattern target I get 10-12 pellets in the head and neck area at 50 yards at 25 yards the head and neck are practically obliberated.

Wow! That's throwing a good pattern. :redthumb: Good luck with the birds :)

Mowolf them birds are gobbling all around me over here across the river.But flocks an't broke up yet.

Blue Smoke

Hey:
I was out calling yesterday here in PA.
Saw some turkeys but didn't hear any gobbleing yet.
Might be a little early still.
Bill

I'm waiting for April 25th here in Ontario. I received my first report of a strutter from a buddy yesterday, so gobbling should start in the next couple of weeks if the weather stays mild. Things are getting to be above freezing during the day and our snow is melting fast, so I should be out there with my camera soon!

Had these Guys in my yard this morning,they went on down below the Barn.Got close as I could they was watching me.There is 7 of them hanging around the house.

000_0873tr.jpg

000_0874btr.jpg

Blue Smoke

I have a dozen that strut through my yard every day. Like clockwork at 11 everyday they peck under the bird feeder. Come next month the fat one will be on the table. :thumbsup:, and another one come fall turkey season :winking:

Anybody else hunt turkeys with roundballs? Been using my .54 Hawkens for a bunch of years now,,,killed quite few birds with it. Very little damage if hittin em at the base of the neck. Just wonderin about it now,,leavin for Florida huntin next week,,also gives you a bit more range if the birds heard too much bad yelpin from bad callers and are call shy before you get in the woods!!!

Well..I'm loadin up the vehicle to leave in the morning to set up camp. It's raining now and supposed to rain all through the night, clear up for the wk-end and rain again next wk. Looks like I'm going to be huntin in wet conditions one way or the other. Anybody got any tips on keepin my powder dry. Don't have any beeswax, but do have a cow's knee. I was plannin on usin 4f for primer but maybe 3f would be better in this weather?

I'd love to shoot roundballs at them, but we aren't allowed in Ky. Got any pics?

Hoyt,

GO GET EM!!!!! Take some pics. :D

Wess

No pictures,,never thought about it,,maybe this year. We can hunt Turkeys here in Florida with just about anything including chasin them down with a knife! Propably a lot of the newcomers just go out and shoot them at 100 yards with a rifle and don't even worry about callin em!!

Come now, Stumpy. Anyone who knows me knows I don't creep. I suddenly appear. There's a huge difference! ::

D'oh! :redface: Ya see! Ya see! They're stalking me! :shocking:

Must be that year-round pile of trout and grouse bones beside the back door. :rolleyes:

That's what I get for ignoring a six foot squirrel with a zipper up his front.

True story: My wife and I were walking down an access path to state lands during deer season and a car stops on the nearby road. Two uniforms step out and begin walking towards us. My wife sets her gun on the ground and puts her hands up over her head. I guess that shows her confidence in my ability to interpret hunting regulations and read maps.

We were, of course, completely acquitted. :haha: The officers just wanted to check licenses & loads. Made their day entirely.

Public Enemy #1 has since retired from hunting.

"I was out calling yesterday here in PA."

Hey Wiley
Turkey hunters here in Tx have a saying, "You don't talk to a Turkey unless you plan on killing him". :crackup:

Don't want to school them before season starts.

Took a ride around today after yesterdays rain...turkeys everywhere....had a big tom next to the truck with about a 10 1/2" beard,just strutted away going na-na-na-na. Just received turkey permit in mail today. Hopefully he will be strutting his tail in front of me the week of the 11th and I will be going hah-hah=hah-hah.

I had me a big ol tom staked out. I went a few days ago and called. He would answer but would not come in range. So a day or so ago this ten tear old kid, siting in the blind with no calling or anything, the tom just walked up and the kid poped him. He had a ten inch beard. I got almost as big a kick out of that kid as if I had took it myself. Almost!
Old charlie

April 15th here in Washington State, and I too am stoked. Haven't stoked Bess yet, I'll wait until the night before.

Me and a hunting pard just got permission this year to hunt on some private land that's supposed to have lots of Turks. Need to brush up on my calling, as so far I've been able to get them into about 100 yards, but that's about it.

Shotguns only in this state, but I really think they should expand that to small bore MLs. Don't think too many modern slob-hunters would leave their super-magna-six-inch-shell-five-ounces-of-shot-automatic shotguns at home just to take 100 yard shots at other hunters with a .36 calibre long rifle.

I would not care if they expanded it to small bore modern rifles even, like the .32-20, .22 Hornet, stuff like that.

However I might not feel real safe with some bozo and his scoped 200 yard ultra-mega-revopolution-3000-night-rider taking 300 yard shots at me.

:youcrazy:

See I REALLY need to get out and go hunting!!

Rat

P.S. Have you ever wondered about these guys with ten pound automatic shotguns with 3.5" chambers, to take one shot at a Turk from 30 yards away???

Latest posts

Back