• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any of you fella's make your own snowshoes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got my frames finished. Had a small amount of splitting on the outside of the tip but nothing that couldn't be glued down and sanded. Next pair I'll make sure I clamp a piece of metal on the outside to try and avoid the splitting. The frame bend much easier after I soaked the pieces in hot water for an hour before I steamed them. I can see why daniel suggests using green wood. Now if I can just figure out the weave!

Here's a pic.
IMG_0532.jpg

pretty nice lines there young man. another way around deaing with splitting at the toe, rather than get too fancy with metal strap, is to simply leave enough stock in anticipation of some splitting and simply shave away the split fibers when you are doing the final shaping of the frame. i never go directly to the finished shape and then bend, but leave a growth ring or two to act as a "metal strap". getting grace and elegance while retaining strength and lightness is a little more subtle than it at first appears.

that is as nice a pair of first frames as i have seen. by the shape a person can tell you are from michigan.

take care, daniel

Rusty, purchased a tubular nylon lacing pack from country ways snowshoes. I wasn't having a lot of luck finding info about traditional rawhide lacing so I thought I'd go modern with my fist pair of shoes. Planning on building a few pair this winter so I'm sure I'll try traditional material at some point.

Latest posts

Back