• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any other brewers out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFord

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any other homebrewers out there. I have been brewing modern and medieval style beers(and ciders and meads) for some time now and am starting to get into doing 18thC styles. Has anyone else here done any of these and how did they turn out? I was thinking about doing one of the molasses based beers but wanted to find out a bit more about what they are like before I did up a test batch.

I've done a little bit in the past. But I think you would classify it as "cooking" reather than brewing.

SP

Yep. I did some fine steam beers (lager yeast but warmer fermentation) and won a 1st at our county fair with my favorite brew. I have used 1/3 honey for the fermentable sugars with good results, but it certainly isn't economical if you don't own bees.

About any real beer obeying the Reinheitsgebot Law of 1516 would be authentic to the 18th c. (coniaining only malted barley, hops, yeast and water). What you ferment and store it in might be a challange. Wood kegs & crockery?

I can't imagine a beer with a majority of the sugars from molasses. I made a few batches of porter (notably Goat Scrotum Ale) with 2 cups of molasses (instead of 1 molasses & 1 brown sugar) and that was enough to make it taste way too buttery for me.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

I've used honey before in an ale and in a mead. Also tried flavoring an ale with staghorn sumac flowers. That beer didn't turn out well and I haven't tried that again.

I just put in my order for some hop rhizomes so I'll have fresh hops sooner or later. One year, I used hops off an old, old vine that grows in a neighbor's pear tree.

Les Ford,
to busy drinkin it to brew it!!!! :: ::
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Actually, early american brewwers used anything they could get their hands on to make beer. I have seen descriptions of brews containing pumpkin, peas, corn, spruce and the above mentioned molasses. English trained brewers also used oats and wheat in many of the beers they made. The German beer purity law actually only affected Bavaria until German unification and some historians believe that it had more to do with preserving wheat and rye for use in bread rather than beer, it also was more concerned with the price of beer than the ingredients.
As far as fermenting goes, wood barrels are a real pain in the butt since they have to be kept full and are real gripe to clean, plastic buckets work quite well as far a getting the desired effect(they are oxygen permeable like wood)but they aren't going to win you any prizes for historical accuracy. I generally keg my beer, hide the keg and CO2 tank in the tent under a blanket and serve it in stoneware pitchers. My brewing partner and I are working on a system where the keg will sit under a covered table with the beer line passing through the table, into a small wood keg and to the wooden tap. Once again it ain't gonna win any prizes but it looks better than a corny keg sitting in the middle of the floor and how many people are gonna complain when they are drinking free homebrew. :)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.

Thomas Jefferson

Back