• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any SxS trap shooters out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a "trapshooter" but I have shot trap with my 70's Pedersoli with Cyl/Mod choke. I also have one a few years younger with Mod/IM fixed chokes and if I were purposely shooting trap I'd use that one. I do shoot a lot of birds throughout the year. Just recently I had quite a streak going on chukar, hitting and knocking down 10 in a row, some at distances close to 40-yards. First, you can bend the stock if you need more or less drop or cast - so my guns fit me perfectly. Next, I use the same scoop of powder as shot. This whole year 2023-present I've used two "nitro" cards over powder and one "over-shot" card on top of shot. If intentionally shooting clay targets for "trap" style presentations, I use 1 1/8oz, for "skeet" type presentations I use 1-oz. On those chukar, and a few quail prior I had a 7/8-oz load just because I already had pre-measured tubes loaded up from my 24-gauge guns. For targets, I use #8 or #7.5 shot. I have done a lot of patterning, and the gun definitely patterns smaller shot better with lighter loads, while 1 1/8-oz loads are always best with #6 or #5 shot. At the 16-yard trap machine I use the Mod barrel and can sometimes hit in the 20's with a pre-mounted gun. On the skeet field I can also get into the 20's mostly using a R-L combination from low gun. I think you have to get the gun-fit right first, the load next and your own technique last to consistently hit what you're shooting at. Of course, proper practice helps, and professional level instruction and coaching can help. If the gun doesn't put the pattern where you're looking, you are only sending some of the pellets towards the "target", and if the pattern is poor, the odds of getting pellets on the target is lower than with a great, even pattern. One the gun puts a good pattern where you point it, it is up to you to move the gun to the right place for pulling the trigger.
Lots of good info in Sparkitoff's post. On the narrower subject of wads, I've used WAA SLwads 12 gauge (Clay Busters makes a copy that also works) in my 1978 Pedersoli, although is is Cylinder (bores of .710). I also have 14 and 15 gauge guns, and in those I have been known to cut the shot cup off of those wads and use the cup over a 14 or 15 gauge over-powder wad. Haven't had success at trap, but can do well at skeet and sporting clays, including some longer shots. I do not premount.

Back