• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any tips for polishing the inside edges on a horn carve ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on my first horn
I'm about to go at it with chopsticks and stuff wrapped in sandpaper, but if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears

20240930_200851.jpg

That's a nice looking horn. Don't be so modest.
Thanks, but if you look at it close you'll see a lot of mistakes. The top edge of the horn not being level with the wood cap, and in an unrepairable way, a lot of slips, gouges and messed up file marks that can't be fixed, air leaks that took epoxy to seal. Without the epoxy to seal the top edge it would have failed the dunk test miserably.
The camera hides as much as it shows

Just realized, I never posted what I've done to it since that last photo.

Put a brass tip on it
Used one of these things, a plumbing fixture used to attach tubing to something (or something like that)
what is it brass tip 1.jpg

Came out pretty good, needs a bit more polishing the get the final grinding marks out

20241002_174452.jpg

I decided to learn the art of bending horn
Filed off the attachment hole thing I was going to use to tie the strap onto the horn

tie off.png

Turned a hardwood cone to shape the end which was oval (ish) - I needed it to be round
Horrn shaper.jpg

Heated vegetable oil in a coffee can to 250 degrees, took the can off heat and let about 5" of the wide end of the horn sit in the oil for about 10 minutes to get pliable.
Shoved the cone up there and let it sit until cool

While that was cooling I turned a new cap with an acorn finial where I'll tie off the strap.

During the final touching up the #$@& tool caught (you can see the line in the photo, can't really see it in real life) and the whole piece flew off the lathe, always a lot of fun. The tip of the acorn is where it broke when it flew off, so I made a tiny tip out of a bit of brass bar. I think that came out pretty good.

Also made my first attempt at checkering on the cap of the acorn. My hat is off to the guys who do some of those amazing checkering jobs, it's not easy.

Attached the cap with 11 brass nails

20241002_230754.jpg

Now I have to make the plug for the pouring end, need to work a taper into the brass tip so the plug will seal and hold, haven't figured that part out yet.

Sand sand sand to get the rest of the scratches out of the cap. I'm holding it in my hand right now and you really can't see them, but now that the camera showed me they are there I'm not going to be able to live with it.

After its fully sanded, about 10 coats of TruOil and a lot of buffing

20241002_230747.jpg

Last thing to do is learn how to do scrimshaw to put a design and my name around the top of the horn.

Decided to thread the spout and began making a threaded antler plug
The threads are cut in the spout, the plug is threaded and roughed out, I'll be working on shaping it tomorrow.

20241004_000039.jpg20241004_000056.jpg

Latest posts

Back