• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

any trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usta trap as a kid. While my friends worked at a burger joint, I made my money running a line. Mostly muskrats and beaver. Many a late night I spent skinning and stretching those critters, and I still had to go in to do homework. Bill

I trap every season. Few beaver, muskrats, coon,plus fisher and otter if I draw tags. skunks smell like money to me and I skin them too. wish possums would bring bigger bucks.

I only ever traped rabits. I used snares. But I did it to eat the little dudes. Nothing in this world tastes better to me than a fresh caught rabit cooked on a spit over a fire. Even if it is a bit tough and stringy on occasion the taste is just to die for. (if you are the rabit!)

Actual traping has crossed my mind a number of times over the years but I am too squeemish about it all to actually do it. (unless it is a rabit, then it is toast if I have anything to say about it)

I bought my first truck with money made trapping in 1989 with money i made trapping. fisher, pine Martin,beaver,fox,coyote,muskrat .made 4 grand that winter.

cynthialee said:
Nothing in this world tastes better to me than a fresh caught rabit cooked on a spit over a fire.
Never had it over and open fire but two of my favorite wild game taste memories are fried rabbit and fried quail
:thumbsup:

You need good teeth at least with snowshoe hare. that's all wehave here. they need to soak in brine for a while.

I have been trapping off and on since the late 70's. When i was a teenager i trapped beaver and fox, it paid for more guns and ammo and my first car. Last year i went on a period trapping expedition alone for a week in the mountains using only 1750's period gear. In the one week i caught 9 beaver and two coyotes as well as a couple of rabits and sruce grouse. It was an awsome week in the winter woods. Alaska still has a lot of trappers who make a living doing it.

Trapping is the only hobby I have ever had that I did not lose money on! My Lab loves to go on the trapline with me. Only problem is once in a while he wants to dismount the UTV and check out a live skunk in a trap. so far I have been able to grap him and put him back on the seat. A buddy and I run a river line in a boat each fall and I love it. The river line is a mixed line as we set for what ever we can find, beaver, otter, coon & muskrats.

I prefer squirrel to rabbit, but rabbit is still pretty good when cooked properly.

Started trapping with my grandfather as a kid. He's gone now, but I still put some of his traps on the line each year, think of him as I set them...my son tells me that I talk to him as I do it but that's crazy...isn't it????

Run two lines in CT that wander between corn fields, small rivers and woods (coon, mink, skunk, muskrats, woodchuck, fox, coycote, otter and beaver). Have a great line located back in VT (fox, fisher, weasel, bobcat and coyotes mostly) but work and life keep me from spending the time I would like on that line.

Building a new fur shed this summer, but it's already mid-august...guess I better step up the progress to be ready in time, once hunting season starts, the home chores fall off... :doh:

VTdeerhunter i live in amherst vergina and i trappe fox racoons bevers muskrats otters minke coyots and my favorite bobcats those things are fun to catch.

Thats a nice area, my company sends me to our plant down in Danville, VA every couple of months, I took a ride up thru your neck of the woods last trip (Lynchburg, Cumberland area)....real purdy :thumbsup:

cynthialee said:
Nothing in this world tastes better to me than a fresh caught rabit cooked on a spit over a fire. quote]

My thinking exactly!!

As Far as trapping, I have doen a little bit for problem beavers. I would like to spend a week or two doin' it primitive style!

I'm not a trapper by any stretch of the imagination. However I'm learning, building up my stock of traps, and am taking my trappers ed course on Saturday so I can get my license.

This is ANOTHER fine hobby my friend VT Deerhunter has gotten me into. A big box of #110's showed up on the door step the other day, and I heard from the kitchen, "If thats what I think they are, YOU ARE NOT allowed to play with HIM anymore"

LOL, I cant count the times we've both heard that over the years. Thank God our wives like each other, or we'd be screwed.

Spent lots of time trapping in west Texas when I was in my 20's and did pretty well on Coon, Coyote, Bobcat, Ringtail, foxes, and some skunks. Bought lots of guns, and tires for the 4WD each season. Had a fur buyer tell me he would pay decent money for skunks one season, I caught a bunch and he only wanted to pay $1.00 per hide. I smelled like a skunk a lot that season. Now 40 years later I am trapping coons in a live trap to re-locate them away from the house so they don't get into wife's bird feeders. Trapping was fun, mostly cause it got me outdoors.

Back