• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody live close to Pecatonica LR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintbuilder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have bought a leman stock from pecatonica and returned it three times now. The inletting is awfull and has runout at the wrist on every one they send me. I am super tired of paying shipping over and over again :cursing: and am trying to find a way to get a good stock.
This is a big favor, but is there anybody out there living close enough to their shop that they make frequent stops there? I am wondering if someone who is making a trip there might be willing to hand pick a stock for me? I'd go but I'm in Utah.
Any takers?
I know it is alot to ask.
Thanks

If by "runout" you are refering to the direction of the wood grain thru the wrist you may have a problem.

Although I think their grading method of determining the curl always gives some of the best curl for the money many of their stocks have some "grain runout" in the wrist area.

I've never had a problem with any of the 12+ guns I've built from their stocks cracking or splitting if that's worth knowing.

Actually, the only stock I bought from them that I was at all concerned about in the wrist area was a Walnut Tennessee.
Because of the extra long length of the barrel tang and the trigger plate I used the wrist is totally sandwitched in steel for its full length.
ten3.jpg

Have you talked to Dick Greensides about your dissatisfaction, and what it is you want? I have never found Dick not willing to work with a customer, but you may be asking for something that neither he nor anyone else can deliver. Grain run-out at the wrist is common with all stocks.

Consider Making the wrist thicker to leave more strength.

If that can't be done because of the "School" of gun you are making, then consider strengthening the Wrist by drilling a hole from the tang mortise down through the wrist, and then filling the hole with epoxy. In the past, some makers would run a iron/steel bolt or screw into such a hole. Brass, and even aluminum bolts or rods have also been used. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,
I have talked to Dick each time I had to send it back. I asked him to personaly inspect the inletting this time before he boxed it. The lock has atleast an 1/8", actualy bigger, gap. I know the run out can be managed but it is pretty bad. The stock is a Leman and is pretty beafy at the wrist compared to other stocks.
I am returning this one though. I won't be having them do any inletting on the next one.

Are you sure you are using the lock that the inlet was made for? PR's catalog says it is inlet for a L&R Leman percussion lock.
Although they look somewhat similar a Ohio Rifle, Goulcher and Manton flintlock all have different lockplates and won't fit the Leman mortice.

I have never seen a Pecatonica River stock which has the lock mortice cut larger than the lockplate.
In fact, every stock I've ordered from them that was pre inlayed for the lock required removing material just to get the lock into the mortice.

Yup, I'm sure. I have never had this problem until now. All my inlets have required removing wood before they would even come close to going in. It is an L&R 300 or leman, mine has it stamped into the back of the lock. Dick has looked at it and confirmed it should fit. Who knows. They also sent the stock to me with the wrong size ramrod channel. I would fix that if I had the tools but I don't. Thats why I pay to have it done. Aparrently after three tries they still can't get even that right. I have talked to Dick on the phone several time and they know exactly what I ordered, it is written in three different places in my invoice. He even sent me a copy of his invoice and it shows three different places it should be a 7/16 channel. The first time they sent me a stock inlet completely wrong, for a different lock, trigger, trigger guard. I had them send me the lock trigger ect. to fit the inlet they gave me after talking to dick on the phone. The stuff the sent was worthless. The lock would not stay at full cock for nothin, it was cheep and was absolutely not safe to use. I exchanged for all the stuff I origonally ordered, correct inlet, lock ect. The inlet was so bad the lock wiggled around in the inlet. Sent that one back after long conversations on the phone with Dick and was assured he would personly inspect it this time before it was boxed. I recieved this stock with a lock inlet that is tight every where but the nose of the lock. It is atleast a 1/8" or bigger gap. Pluss now the ramrod channel is the wrong size. I can't seem to get it wright this time around.
Dick And Pecatonica are fantastic and I will always be willing to go back to them time and time again.
I am just frustrated with this one :shake:

Back