• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anybody shooting .50 cal pa pellet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentfork

32 Cal.
Reaction score
just got a pa pellet .50 cal and am looking for pointers. i have pellets and sabots also powder, patches and roundballs. i know that you shouldn't use pellets and prb's but what about powder with the sabots. is that o.k., i don't seem to like the pellets because i have had a little trouble gettin them to go off. i've been told i would have better results getting powder to ignite in a flinter. any ideas or things i can try. new at this but totally in love with the sport

I'm not sure I understand the question. First off can this be called a traditional flintlock rifle? Removeable breech?, fibre optic sights?, sounds a little over the edge to me. Don't know much about this rifle but I'm reasonably certain no flintlock I've ever seen has any business shooting pyrodex pellets.

yeah, its a traditional style flintlock designed for p.a.'s late ml season ...built with breach plug and magnum barrel to handle using pellets and powder both. its made by traditions.

I have one ,but rarely use it anymore since getting my new gun. I have always used loose 2f powder in it with patched round ball. I did shoot a few sabots through it just to see, but i used loose powder with those too. Are you looking for alternitvies to pellets and real black powder?

no, not looking for alternatives just tryin to find out what combos are workin for others.

With the pellets, you have to make sure you don't crush them when you ram down the projectile. You also have to make sure the projectile is situated right on top of the pellets - no space between. Either one of those things and you've got ignition problems. Use black powder and eliminate those issues.

i have never used the pellets, i was always told they are fine in october but when it gets really cold they sometimes do not go off. the twist in your barrell will determine where to start. 1 in 66 use a roundball with 70gr of FF. 1-48, 1-32, 1-24 i would use 100 gr of FF and a hornady 240 grain xtp. i have killed a bunch of deer with this load and that bullet is wicked and very accurate out to 100 yards.

My uncle used them( pellets). There is one side that goes toward the primer. If it was me I would put in 5grs of 2ff Geox first, this will set off the pellets. We done this in a TC Hawken to get it to go off with Prodex. Dilly

50 gr 3F and work up from there, probly settling around 70 to 8o for best groups. patch thickness will play a big part in the proper load.
Bigger is not always better.

bentfork said:
yeah, its a traditional style flintlock designed for p.a.'s late ml season ...built with breach plug and magnum barrel to handle using pellets and powder both. its made by traditions.

The model in question (give or take the camo).

R3810856-small.JPG

i have one and like it.seems to be a good rifle,alot of people like to bash them.mine goes of every time.i shoot 90 grains of 2f and a 240 grain hornaday pa conical.

Hi:
I was lookin at Hodgdon powder web page the other day, There's some pointers for using Pyrodex and the similar products. They make a granular powder along with the pellets.
[url] http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzleloading/granular/t7rifle-sabot.php[/url]

I've been looking at a few sites dedicated to long range Flintlock shooting pages. I don't have a pellet rifle but I'm under the impression that most use 5-10 grains of 2f black powder near the touch hole then add the pellets or what ever. a 95 grain load would be 5 grains black powder plus 90 grains of loose or pellets.This procedure is listed under the loading notes on hodgdon's web page.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
"yeah, its a traditional style flintlock"

it is obviously a flintlock, evidently leagal in PA. but for the sake of "keeping Tradition alive"
let's not call it it a traditional flintlock, no flame, it probably is a nice gun to shoot, but considering the how, what, and why of this particular guns developement, traditiional just does not fit, let's raise the bar just a bit for once.

I have a PA pellet. I shoot 2 t7 pellets with just a tad of 4f for a prime, .44 cal hp/xtp's with a sabot. I've shot just about every combo, and like this the best. The 777 pellets are cleaner than pyrodex and BP. The 3f BP main and 4f in pan was the fastest ignition. Then I tried to prime my pellets with 3f and it was close to the BP charge. When I put the 4f in for a prime, there was no differece. Instant ignition.

OK:
He used the word traditional. There's alot of Flintlock guns on the market with Non traditional features. The design is a good strong design. the model above also comes in wood and looks nice and traditional. I'm pretty sure there is a flame coming out the end and a flash in the pan. It's strong design would lead to a more humane and lethal weapon and open up a whole lot more opportunities to harvest deer. The "magnum" pellet rifle has the capibility of putting a .45 caliber round downrange with the energy at 200 yards that a blackpowder .45 rb would have at 60 or so yds.

". It's strong design would lead to a more humane and lethal weapon and open up a whole lot more opportunities to harvest deer."

more humane and lethal? this has actually gone past the point of being ridiculus...I think the bar has just slid so far down you could not slip a piece of tissue under it.

the model above also comes in wood and looks nice and traditional.

Huh? That gun don't have none of the beauty a real longrifle has. Sorry but I see nothing nice and traditional about this gun.

Laugh Laugh

How every one tries to reinvent the the muzzleloader. Every animal in north america was havested with a traditional flint lock. If I shoot a plastic gun, non traditional they won't let me in though the pearly gates.

Merry Chistmas

Latest posts

Back