• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone attempted to make a TC Hawken correct?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A agree, there is just not enough there to allow for how much wood you have to move around. My guess is TC were trying to make a rifle with more "modern" dimensions (drop at heel and comb) to make a more shootable gun for what most people are used to. I think you might be able to make it look very loosely like an Ohio vincent than a hawken, because I think it resembles (I say that loosely) a Vincent more than a hawken. I'm not sure why they call them hawkens when they hardly resemble a hawken at all. In fact, my 5 digit serial number TC doesn't even say hawken on it. I think of them more as a modern muzzleloader made like a classic gun, not a copy of any particular gun.

I'm not sure how close it could get to being HC or to resemble any particular gun but there is plenty of ways to make them look better if you have the time and patience to do so. As they sit they are solid, accurate guns that make meat and are well made. I can hit 10X10" steel plates at 150 yards if I do my part. Plus, you can find them for under $200 if you shop around on the used market, so if you did want to rework one its not a huge investment.

Believe Martin Luther King said it best, how long does this poop have to go on?

:idunno:

:surrender: this is the reason that i left any group muzzle loading about 20 years ago. if ya didnt raise the sheep to shear the wool to weave... hay i came to have fun not start a debate club. oh by the way i did have the hand stitched clothing and original charleville i just didnt raise the sheep.

Congratulations. :)

After 5 years of your membership I'm honored to be the inspiration behind your first post. :grin:

All I did up above by posting the link is to help people realize that the "TC Hawken" style does have some related guns from the 1800's that are not that much different.
The TC's don't come close at all to a true "Hawken" but they are a good, well made rifle that helped to get a lot of people interested in shooting muzzleloaders. :hatsoff:

I feel guilty driving my new fangled truck to the woods. Just not PC. Maybe I should get a horse and buggy.

or you could just put on yer coonskin hat, round up yer mule & yer Indian companion and trek in.

Save your money and buy a custom made Hawken from somebody like TOW. A modified TC Hawken is just that and you will spend more time and money trying to make it look like the genuine article than it will ever be worth. On top of that, any knowledgeable person who looks at it will know instantly what it is.

well judging from the link above to another's re-worked TC with the tiger striped stock ... I say go for it and see what you can make. that my friend ... even tho not traditional ... is a rare and dandy re-work of the TC basic rifle.

I did something similar with an old TC kit gun purchased second hand a couple of years ago. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but wanted to make the rifle a little less run of the mill and a little more personalized. I thought about switching to steel bits but the cost quickly changed my mind. The only things I did buy were a couple of small stars, a new trigger guard and an updated trigger plate and tang bolt. All of my pictures were on webshots and now long gone. I like to think it improved the looks.
The before:

And the finished rifle:

Well, if you did raise the sheep, the next question might be whether you raised the feed for them or bought it at a feed store. :haha: Some of the HC/PC crowd can be pretty tight a$$ed but, fortunately, the rest of us are like you and are in it for the fun. Stick around, you'll find us to be a pretty good bunch. :hatsoff:

Oh, BTW, Zonie, I'm not talking about you. I understand what you were saying.

This thread has gone a long time and has drifted away from the original question, which was:
anyone attempted to make a TC Hawken correct?

Really, there is nothing that can be done to make a TC hawken any more correct than what it is from the factory. It is what it is.

I just call my TC Hawken a Dimick....have seen pics of Dimick plains rifles w/ brass hardware and TC evidently simulated a Dimick, but the Hawken name was a "best seller", so that was the marketing label. Evidently it "worked"...not "bad mouthing" TC, because TC was responsible for a "spurt" of popularity of MLers.

Horace Dimick was gunsmith from Vermont who set up shop in St. Louis and built mainly LRs but also "plains rifles".

The brass trigger guard on the TC Hawken is very similar to one that's on a pictured Dimick.

My first attempt at a "MLer" was a TC HAwken kit, so I'm forever grateful to TC for their rendition of a "plains rifle". Don't think I'll ever sell this "kit rifle", although all my other builds are sold......Fred

so you replaced the stock, lock, barrel,and all the metal furniture I guess using the original trigger still qualifies as a TC

Actually no.
I plan on using a Davis Deer Slayer trigger.
The whole thing is really a build around the nice Green Mountain barrel. I don't think there will be any T/C parts except for the tang, which I don't have but am looking for. I need a 1" across the flats T/C Hawken or Renegade tang. (hint hint) Anyone???

Back