• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone do a wilderness MZ hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbassi

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, a friend and I are considering a wilderness MZ hunt this fall in Northern NY. (yes, there are wilderness places in NY, and I ain't talkin' about NYC! :crackup:) Our reasons are simple, here in NY we have 2 zones; north and south, with vastly different MZ special seasons. Here in the south it's a late Dec. season, up North its an early Oct. season with the potential to take a bear. We aren't talking about a completely PC MZ hunt. My friend can't live w/o his Starbucks from the French press and I would probably sleep in every day w/o an alarm clock, but we have agreed it would be only traditional MZ's, no inlines and such. We are both experienced campers and canoeists, so that isn't a consideration. I was just wondering if anyone else would like to share their experiences and/or stories of wilderness hunts they have done with MZ's. For me the draw is a chance to "get away from it all", literally, and the chance to wonder where ever or hearts desire for 4 or 5 days. I would really love to hear from anyone who has hunted the 'Daks in the past.

Thanks all, this site is GREAT!

bbassi,

I do a wilderness Adirondack muzzleloader hunt with my uncle every year. Have for all but 1 or 2 years over the last 20. Not many deer up there but it's always a good time. I've gotten a couple of deer but the memories that really stick are the unusual happenings. For instance, I pussyfooted up a steep gorge one day and topped out at the peak of a ridge we call Mossy ridge. I looked off to my right to see a nice buck climb out of his bed and sneak off through the woods. I was afraid to shoot as my uncle was planning on coming through just about where the buck was bedded and I had no idea where he was at the time. I just stood there and watched the buck walk away. About five minutes later my uncle came through right at the same spot. We stood there talking and out of the corner of my left eye I caught a movement. It turned out to be a nice dark Fisher which loped along about 30 yards and climbed a big old Beech tree. We watched him for five minutes or so until he moved on and out of sight.

We always take canoes (or lately Adirondack Guideboats like this:
Upper_Pine_Lake.jpg

We're not PC at all (it's hard to find beer in nice wooden kegs :D) but we both shoot sidelocks and we always have a good time. Whereabouts are you planning on going? We've always stuck to the Southern Adirondacks as that's where I'm from and it's much like going home for a week every fall. I'd love to continue this thread. If there's two things I never tire of talking about it's boats and flintlocks and wherever and whenever they're used, built or just looked at. :peace:

Dick

Hey Dick,

First, BEAUTIFUL BOAT! Second, we are looking at 2 areas; either the stillwater Res area or the High Falls by Cranberry Lake. Neither one of us really expect to fill a tag, that would just be a bonus. We both hunt down south and can easily fill tags around here if need be. There are different reasons for hunting. This trip we are contimplating is more of a "get out of town" trip than a serious "fill the freezer" trip. I have been all over the country, and in my book the 'Daks rank in the top 5 for fall colors and experience.

Thanks, I used to build flintlocks but it turns out I'm a better boatbuilder. I'm relatively familiar with the Stillwater Reservoir area but I've never been up to the Cranberry Lake area. There's certainly plenty of land around Stillwater Res. to hunt and getting around by canoe shouldn't be a problem as long as the dam is in, it gets mightly low once they let the water out for the winter though. We usually hunt around the upper reaches of the Kunjamuck River. Last year we hunted the Jessups River where it flows into Indian Lake. It's a nice chunk of land and there's always a possibility of seeing a moose in that area. I'll tell you my moose story later if you're interested, to this day nobody but my uncle believes it. Anyway, if you're interested in getting away from it all you can't do much better than a week in the 'dacks.:imo:

Dick

bbassi:

Yeah, I've gone on several wilderness muzzleloader hunts as well as a few traditional archery hunts. They have all been wonderful experiences that I cherish and still like to talk about with the friends who were with me.

My best advice is to be in pretty decent physical condition before setting out. Our trips were mostly on foot--only went once horseback and never had the opportunity to go on a real wilderness canoe trip which brings up the point:

Dang you, Muskrat! Now I have a serious craving for your guide boat or one like it!! I would look darn good in that thing!

Anyway, back to bbassi: It has been my experience that really enjoying the wilderness areas requires getting at least one day and usually two days away from the nearest trail head to avoid the casual campers, sightseers and other hunters. In the Rockies this is also where you're apt to find the better bulls and bucks. If you or one of your group are not in good shape, the hunt can be miserable. Most guides I know share this sentiment.

Wife and I have just joined the local YMCA for that very reason. We are out of shape and need to get fit in order to enjoy a good long trip now that the kids are off to college!

Good luck and I hope you have a great wilderness hunt! jack

I will second the "be in good physical condition"..I went on an Elk Hunt into the Sellway Bitterroot Mountain Wilderness and used horses..still almost killed me...and I was younger and thought in good shape. That was the roughest country I've ever been in.

Anyway, if you're interested in getting away from it all you can't do much better than a week in the 'dacks.:imo:

Small world...grew up around the Ballston Spa/Saratoga area...beautiful country...and a beautiful boat
:redthumb:

I'll tell you my moose story later if you're interested, to this day nobody but my uncle believes it.
Dick

MOOSE?! hell ,them R rarer than Cougars in NY if you ask the DEC. :crackup: :crackup:. I have no doubt there are moose in the 'dacks, but what I'm more interested in is the bears. I know we can't bait, but who says you can't take 10 lbs. of bacon sides with you into the brush? (JUST KIDDING!)

Seriously, I've had a couple of run-ins with bears in northern PA durring the rifle season, and I've always wanted to shoot one. With a MZ would just make it a highlight of my simple life. I've had 2 run-ins with bears on campgrounds around Old Forge, which makes me lean towards Stillwater, but in all seriousness, what's the chances of finding a bear in the 'dacks after the early bear season? Have you ever just happened into one while trecking?
B (PS - I would love to hear your moose story if you care to share it!)

You know, bears will sometimes come in to a predator call. Might try giving that a try in an area where you are pretty sure there are bears.

Small world...grew up around the Ballston Spa/Saratoga area...beautiful country...and a beautiful boat
:redthumb:
roundball, I spent almost a year in Saratoga Springs back in the 70's. It is a beautiful area. I didn't get to hunt any, but I spent a lot of time fishing the "kayaderosseras" and Saratoga Lake. :agree:

Hey Muskrat..I was up hunting your neck of the woods coming into Indian Lake last year....muzzloader into rifle....that was an unpleasant time in the woods....snow..then rain..then temp dropped then frozen rain..then 20 mph winds at night. Tracked a real bruiser along his scrape line but never got a clear shot at'em. Beautiful area though.
-good luck

Me and my buddies do a primitive hunt every year here in Montana. We usually walk into our primitive camp the day before opening day and hunt grouse on the way in. The next day, up early and hunt for most of the day. We then walk out (Opening day is on a Sunday). We are equipped with a mix of Flint rifles or Trade Guns and we hunt and camp primitive. Our ony modern concession is the Blaze/Hunter Orange vests for safety. I very much prefer to hunt this way, and I enjoy the experience much better. It is also a great test for the gear and the person. I then usually do day hunts for the rest of the season in my garb and with the flinter.
Black Hand

Back