• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone else have turkey hunting in mind?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It runs from mid April through May here but I haven't seen a turkey around my area in years. I've hunted out west with my smoothbore but no luck there either.
The guys I hunt with kid me about my "old timey" gun but I just tell them that "I've never needed more than one shot all the times that I've turkey hunted." (Course, I've never needed ANY shot while turkey hunting. :redface: )

Paul we need to get together this year bud, I can put a bird in your lap and in range of that smoothie. Love to watch you put one down buddy!!!

Tracy

Spring turkey season runs basicly the month of May here in The People's Republic of Connecticut. I hope to go out with my new smooth rifle if I don't have to go on snow shoes. I don't think all this damn white excrement of the sky will all melt in time.

Well here in The People's Republic of California we get the month of May also. I always really look forward to it, then I get out and rediscover that there are about 1000 turkeys and about 100000 hunters and my lamentations about crowds start up anew for the year.

That would be great Tracy. I'd welcome the chance to hunt with you. :thumbsup:
Thanks. :hatsoff:

Sounds good Paul, I will get with you and work out the details bud. I will start scouting our spots and doing some shed huntin as soon as the weather breaks and start sending you some picks.

Tracy

Thanks Tracy. Looking forward to it.
Those are some beauties in the picture there.

Pretty much out of turkeys around where I hunt in S. Il. Think over population of bobcats around here is the main culprit. No season on them.

I use to see them all the time when in the woods and around the house..saw one turkey the whole deer season this yr. and no scratching or any kind of sign.

Killed this one about 4 yrs ago and none since. I was all around the woods today pulling cards in my cams. Ground covered in snow and nary a track or any other sign.
shawgob4.jpg

I was playing around with a tortoise shell trying to make a turkey call today. I saw one an old man had made that had a wood sound board instead of a slate, his piece of wood was glued in with a bunch of epoxy, sounded good but looked sloppy. I wanted to make one without the epoxy to keep it primitive and found with a little grinding on the shell you could fit in a sound board that would snap firmly in place, it was held under the lip on one end and kept from falling out by the curve of the shell on the front end.

The only wood I had big enough for the sound board was a piece of cherry and red cedar so I tried both. The cedar didn't have a good sound but the cherry sounded nice and was extremely loud. I experimented with different sanding grits on the sound board and found that 100 grit produced the most natural sounds when chalked profusely. I use a cedar striker for the best tone.

The wood is 1/8" thick, just a quick slab off my bandsaw, sanded smooth on one side. This was the first thickness I tried, it worked so I stuck with that size.

A friend told me hickory worked well for a sound board, may give that a try next. I think I have a hickory board or two under the house.

Time until Saturday, April 11, 2015, 6:00AM
38 days
8 hours
18 minutes
16 seconds

We got six inches of snow last weekend in southwest Missouri and I heard birds gobbling both mornings. It's enough to give a feller hope that spring is not too far off!

I already have shot and powder measured out to feed 'em come April.

Darren

I have been twitching for a month waiting on it to get here! 2 months to go! I am gonna start on the panfish until then, so we can have a few good fish frys when season gets here!

Yeeeeeehaaaaaa!!!!
Wess

Went up to Oskaloosa and got my tags today. (Like a 2nd marriage, the triumph of Hope over Experience.. :wink: )
Bow season starts April 6th and gun season mid April and runs through May so we'll see what happens.

Back