• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone ever consider setting up shop?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, knowing how the the city, county, village, hamlett, township and state want to know everything about us, I really don't think I'd want to.

Can you imagine all the fuss over paperwork, inspections, fines, licsence requirements, more paperwork, some BS, a little more paperwork, some more BS, a couple of inspections served by inspectors who depend on velcro to keep their shoes on their feet, some more BS :sleep: :sleep:

:shocking: Even if you had a shop selling ONLY blackpowder-type firearms (no modern stuff)?. OK, maybe I'm being a bit naive but thought there'd be LESS riga-rigmole with MLs.

:hmm:

I went to BBB website once and filled out there
new bizness forms, and theres no way you could move enough volume, to pay for rent and utilities,
unless you owned your store outright, and then dont expect a paycheck, of course a lot depends on your region,
on the east coast, rev. war through 1812, stuff is sold
and a little further inland, cival war stuff does ok.

to really move stuff you would have to really promte events,
and try to couse a local fad. and recrute constantly.

frankly i dont know how dixi, jarnigan, ect. move enough volume to stay in bizz.

BB ::

I think you'd be better off with a lemonade stand.....oh, I take that back....health department concerns, probably couldn't do that either!

My Dad had a FFL for years when I was younger. It got to the point were He just gave it up. "THE MAN" wanted too much info on everything. They wanted pictures of where guns were stored, blue prints of the house, and other things.

It's sad that there are that kind of people out there to where other people try to take our rights away.

Big dealers, like DGW depend on internet sales, heavily. Kinda takes the personal contact out of it. But it must be profitable. They're still in busuness.

Rebel,
My parents just moved to Oakland a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to visit yet, but it sounds like a nice place.

Have you ever checked out a shop called Blackpowder Jack's, on 138 east of Roseburg?

There is a store in Fayetteville (home of Fort Bragg) named Fayetteville Arms. He has been in business for several years. Sells everything, even custom made flintlocks. He belongs to NMLRA and SASS and shoots competition. End of May he is closing the doors, not enough business. He is selling everything cheap. I wish I could pick up an 1858 Uberti.

That's too bad. If a ML shop in NC can't make it, forget SE Fla. Believe a ML shop would have to depend on web site and phone orders.

Look at it this way; How many of your friend are into MLs? I don't mean taking an inline out once a year to hunt with. Its kind of a lonely sport, at times, for me. My brothers hunt a little, but modern. I have one friend that is somewhat into shooting traditional, and a few that are casually interested. When I head to the range with ML, most are; at the beach, out in a boat, "hanging out" or whatever. The Muzzleloading Forum is great because we can communicate, learn from, and share experiences with others that share our interest in this wonderful sport :imo:

My point is that a business takes VOLUME and may God bless those that are in the business :hatsoff:. Just have to agree with you that a retail ML store isn't going to have a mad rush of customers thru the front door. But i'm not giving up on some type of ML business just yet :hmm:....

Squirrelasaurus, yes i have. He is a pretty nice guy to deal with. Haven't been to the shop in a long time. He closed down for a while but is open again now. Ran into them at the rondy in Coquille this last summer. He has some nice guns and accessories.

A couple of years ago I was down there visiting my parents for Christmas (when they still lived in Myrtle Creek). I took the wife and kids for a drive up 138 to check out the hills and such. We pulled off the road and hiked a trail to a waterfall. I forget the name of the falls now, but it sure was pretty. I noticed Blackpowder Jack's on the way, but it was closed (it was Sunday). I wanted to go back another day and have a look, but I didn't have a chance before we had to hit the road and head for home (we were still living in California at the time). It was a surprise for me, because full-fledged blackpowder shops are hard to find in the San Francisco Bay area.

That was when I knew for sure that I had to get outta California. :haha:

Was it Clearwater Falls? It is beautiful back in there. That is a ways down the road from Black Powder Jacks though. He is close to Glide. Some real nice country around here though for hunting and fishing. If ya like those kinds of things. ::

There is a ML shop in Davenport, IA. It is called Upper Mississippe Vally Mercantile CO.. There web site is www.umvmco.com The have a lot of reenacting gear as well as some great muzzwlloaders. They helped me get started with trekking and what not.
~Nenajungas

If your are going to have a old dog laying in the sun, then for sure you need an old cannon stove so that on them cold winter days the grey beards could gather round the stove and sit 'baccy juce on it and tell lies.

If I were going to open an old time store, I would try to get the old Brockway Store building, near Dillard. I stopped there many times during the late 60's and early 70's, and was taken by the atmosphere.

Latest posts

Back