• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone got anything good to say bout ERA? pics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich, I totally sympathize with your statements. When I was a younger man (pre-arthritus)and somewhat poorer man, I badly wanted a longrifle. No factory made one commercially that pleased me. I couldn't afford a custom one. So I made one myself. Here is what it cost back in 1978 dollars: $100 for fancy wood blank, $100 for a Green River .45 barrel, I thnk about $60 for a Willie Cochran lock, and miscellaneous charges for brass, etc., if memory serves I had a little over $300 total in parts. I had instructional help from a local gunmaker ($25 fee). I had to buy a few tools too. Now here is the part that really counts: It took me an estimated 166 hours to build this rifle. Even at $5.00/hour labor that comes to $830.00; at $10.00/hour it is $1660.00 (a typical skilled wage at the time). Soooo, this rifle "cost" me between $1130 and $1960...now this was 1978. Count inflation since then and you should at least double the costs of parts and the labor costs value? I admire Mr. Williams for trying to keep his costs as low as they are, I too don't know how anyone could make a living doing it. I have a good friend who is retired and makes guns for fun and modest profit (just enough to buy more parts). He also does not charge enough for his fine work, but he is doing it more for fun that to make a living. There are several such makers around who build "on the side" and make their living doing something else; and some of these people make fine guns at reasonable prices. I know a school teacher in Arkansas that does this. At last pricing these guys sell their guns in same price neighborhood as Mr. Williams and do fine work....

i certainly wasnt putting the man down. i was defending him. he doesnt do cheap work. i was replying to the previous post suggesting he does his work for very little money and in turn makes shoddy guns. this thread was for good things to be said about early rustic arms. if we cant post some nice pictures and say nice things about larry's work, then lets not post in the thread.... :shake:

anyone got anything good to say bout ERA? pics? :winking:

Out of all the guns he offers, I would love to have the American Fowler, nice lookin gun...

americanfowler05.jpg

Rich,"I expect to be pilloried and roundly condemned" Actually neither happened and I got some supporting posts which somewhat surprised me. Now for the more erudite among you,here is what I feared:

PILLORY- 1:a device for publicly punishing offenders consisting of a wooden frame with holes in which the head and hands can be locked 2:a means for exposing one to public scorn or ridicule.

To pillory some one is to use the above frame to expose that person to public contempt,ridicule,or scorn.

Of course as old time sailor I could have mentioned keel hauling or flogging through the fleet either of which would be more than a little uncomfortable while being endured.

Or the worst of all punisment of all;To watch Mike Brooks dance!

Tom

OK Tom, enough of the dancing remarks! I wouldn't pillory you for your knowledge on old guns as our opinions are nearly the same. But on the other hand your politics are another story... :blah:

Well...to be honest, I have not yet bought any kit or any gun in the white. Yet, I can relate to the builder's situation. I used to be a remodeling contractor specializing in kitchen and general interior remodeling. Since the appearance of outfits like Lowes or Home Depot the custom woodworker has either had to have a high dollar clientele or stuck to simple installation work. Needless to say I got out of that business rather than have to deal with some of the penny pinchers. Now back to this builder..same story as having a custom cabinet or woodworking shop only more so. Most folks have no idea the amount of money it takes to outfit a cabinet shop or the cost of good wood...that price is going up by the month, been that way for years. Not to mention the gunbuilder is sticking his neck out far more than any sawbones...ever think what some ambulance chaser could do with a lawsuit if someone got hurt with a custom gun? All in all..I kind of side with the builder here. No offense meant, but believe me, I have seen my share of people that can't see a craftsman make a decent wage while the customer himself figures he is entitled to top dollar. What really ticks me off...and I have no idea as to the skills of any of the folks on this forum...but there are people in this world that cannot cut a straight line or drive a nail in a board without bending it...yet they are the same ones that figure the guy they hire to do something is not worth the money charged...sorry..I've been around too long to buy into that one.

" But on the other hand your politics are another story... "

Mercy...Mercy.. let's leave that topic to the Colonial Backwoods forum...(VBG)

" But on the other hand your politics are another story... "

Mercy...Mercy.. let's leave that topic to the Colonial Backwoods forum...(VBG)
I think Tom and I have put those days behind us. We are in more of a "mutual admiration phase" at the moment. :peace: :crackup:

I've looked at the pictures, read the negatives and the positives. It is human nature to want perfection at the cheapest price as money is hard earned for most of us and we try to make it go as far as we can. None of us knows why this gun showed up as it did except for the shipper. I would really like to hear the other side of the story, but I will voice my thoughts relative to what I have seen and read. Nobody forced Larry to become a gun builder, he did so because he wanted to. Nobody sets his prices for him, he does. If he agrees to build a gun for someone, it should be the best he can do, reguardless of the amount of profit gained or lost. On a (in the white) gun, I would think surface rust would be acceptable as the gun has to be sanded anyway. Pits are not acceptable. All holes should be drilled in proper alignment and wood to metal fit should not have gaps. I'm just an old fashioned country boy with my opinion for what it's worth. I hope Larry stays in business for as long as he wants and I hope this ordeal has a happy ending for both builder and buyer.

Back