• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone use their NSW Officers musket for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheba

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone use their NorthStar Officers musket for hunting?Does it take 16ga wads for shot?

I have used mine for a couple of years but when I hunt with any smoothbore I only see deer out past 150 yards. When I take my longrifles I see deer at 35 yards! One of these days I hope to see a deer under 100 yards when I have my NSW Officers model in hand.

I have a Kit Ravenshear Brown Bess that I hunt squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, and deer with. I know that it is a full sized musket vs the officers fusil, but YOU WILL LOVE IT. The smooth flinter makes hunting so much fun!

My huntin buddy, Tater, uses one of Curly's original 24ga Officers model's to hunt everything from grasshoppers to elk. We're headin for the Colorado high country come September!!!!! The NSW Officers is one of the finest designs to ever come down the pipe! He uses a 562prb and 85gr-3fg for deer and elk and 65gr-3fg with 1.25oz shot for moving type critters. Mainly rabbits and pheasants. A good smoothbore will do most anything! Good Luck

In my early years in the business I sold an Officer's Musket to a fellow in Utah. He shot an elk with it right after he bought it. It shoots a 1 ounce ball that hits with considerable authority. He sent me pictures of his trophy and a description of the hunt. He said that he had been hunting many years with many different guns, large and small but the Officer's Musket's big 16 gauge ball was more devestating than anything he had ever seen. He'd made a clean shot that knocked a mature bull on its keister.

Latest posts

Back