• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

aquafortis??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom hargrove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
is there anything else that will come close to aquatortis for staining ,and bringing out the curl pattern in maple?

I'd be more than happy to apply for a Photobucket account. However they ask for too much personal information for my tastes (why exactly do they need MY birthdate??).

Black Hand said:
I have no way to post pictures. I will be happy to send the info by e-mail.

Hey BH,

These guys don't necessarily need to see a picture, they just want to know what you used other than AQ.

Randy Hedden

two-bellys said:
is there anything else that will come close to aquatortis for staining ,and bringing out the curl pattern in maple?

In my personal opinion, NO!

Randy Hedden

Here is the info I sent. If you are interested in seeing the pic, I will send it to you. In my opinion, you can't really judge the staining without the pic.

The stock is stained with multiple applications of Birchwood Casey walnut stock stain, Minwax water-based American walnut stain, used in conjunction with Feibings alcohol-based dark chocolate leather dye. The Fiebings when applied, was wiped-back with an rubbing alcohol soaked rag to "mellow" it and remove the excess. The Fiebings will give you most of the red color and will also leave a polychromatic film on the surface of the wood (looks like a greenish film) that was rubbed off with 0000 steel wool. You get some red from the BC, and the brownish/gray from the Minwax. Unfortunately, there is no formula, and I applied each to bring out the characteristic I wanted. Since they are alcohol- or water-based, they allow multiple coats to be applied to get what you want.

Black Hand said:
I'd be more than happy to apply for a Photobucket account. However they ask for too much personal information for my tastes...

I'm with you. I'm actually typing this under my bed, wearing an aluminum foil hat. :winking:

(remember, you never read this)

Dale Brown said:
Black Hand said:
I'd be more than happy to apply for a Photobucket account. However they ask for too much personal information for my tastes...

I'm with you. I'm actually typing this under my bed, wearing an aluminum foil hat. :winking:

Never read what? :hmm:

Goldhunter said:
Dale Brown said:
Black Hand said:

Never read what? :hmm:

Exactly.

(Who else remembers Col. Flagg from M.A.S.H.?)

Black Hand, e-mail me the picture and I will upload to photobucket and post it for the group.
Scott

Ferric nitrate and disstilled water. I am told it is Aquafortis after the Iron desolves in the Nitric Acid. Goes on the same as Aquafortis. It worked good for me.

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

SquirrelFlinter said:
Ferric nitrate and disstilled water. I am told it is Aquafortis after the Iron desolves in the Nitric Acid. Goes on the same as Aquafortis. It worked good for me.

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01066.jpg
SF,
If the photos are an example I agree
it works great.
snake-eyes :bow: :hatsoff: :applause:

Photos are the First and only example I have so far. Want to use it again this winter if I can scrape the money for another kit.

SF

Back