• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

aquafortis??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sure does bring out the figure nicely. Would it be compatible with other stains do you think? That stock is gorgeous, but I like a touch of red in mine and was wondering if following with something like LMF's Cherry would work?

Where'd you get the Ferric Nitrate???Bud
[url] http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinachems.htm[/url]

Would it be compatible with other stains do you think? That stock is gorgeous, but I like a touch of red in mine and was wondering if following with something like LMF's Cherry would work?
Yes any of the reagents (AF, vinegaroon, etc are technically reagents - they "stain" by the acid/iron solution reacting with the tannins/sugars in the wood) are generally compatible with other types of dyes..

FWIW - here's a comparison of four differently produced reagents:
DSC00126.jpg

the lower piece:
1) on the left is vinegaroon - vinegar (acetic acid) and iron
2) in the middle is Ferric Nitrate (aka nitrate of iron) crystals mixed up 3 to 1 with distilled water and then muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric) added
3) On the far right is my control - an old batch of Wahkon Bay Aqua Fortis (a commercial nitrate of iron mix made with nitric, hydrochloric acid, distilled water, and iron - the formula was given by the original owner of WB on another forum some time back)- a note: any of the nitric acid based reagents when mixed with muriatic acid are technically/traditionally Aqua Regia, although they are commonly known today as Aqua Fortis

Finally: The top piece was made up using TANSTAAFL's suggestion as a quick and easily available source of nitric acid:
It is Aqua Fortis/Regia made up using Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown for the nitric acid (10%) source, muriatic acid, and degreased steel wool (steel wool is not necessrily the "best" source of iron, but I used it in this experiment as it is easily and widely available - I degrease by soaking in acetone and then burning it off).

All of the reagents except for the vinegaroon (which does not need it) were blushed with a heat gun at 375F (a necessary step wih the Nitric Acid based reagents) and then neutralized with a water/lye (Red Devil in this case) solution which in my expereince helps "kick" the color to the red side as does the addition of muriatic to the mix.
All pieces were burnished and then "finished" lightly with a homemade period style linseed oil based varnish in order to bring out the grain.......

Any questions ask away...

CAUTION: there are some major health/safety concerns when handling nitric/muriatic acid and degreasing steel wool such as proper ventilation and not burning down one's house...... :nono:

Last edited by a moderator:
new supplier of aqua fortis :

as you all know this has been very difficult to get the last few years !

a fellow by the name of mike lea has purchased the rights to wakon bays formula for aqua fortis and this is for sale thru mike , along with a few other items that may interest some of you !

mike can be reached at the addy: [email protected]

mike was a pleasure to deal with / just my .2

hope this helps .. i know this material was a great asset to my chemicals for horning ....

greywolf ...so do i under stand right....mix muratic acid to nitric acid then add distilled water then iron or steel wool?...which will make a redder stain....would you possibly give the percentage amounts and also post your linseed /varnish mix .. i know i have asked a for alot but you would really be helping out a newbie ...thanks ..greg

Bugsy said:
is hydrochloric acid same as muratic acid? thanks

Yes, Muriatic acid is the old name, (1780's - 90's), for hydrochloric acid.

Randy Hedden

Bugsy said:
....mix muratic acid to nitric acid then add distilled water then iron or steel wool?...

Just remember-"Do as you oughter, add acid to water"

Mr. Young hisself reminded me of that.

~Riley

Let me emphasize that point about adding acid to water. This is a safety issue. If you add water to concentrated acid it will blow concentated acid all over your dang hide. Probably ruin your good looks.
In fact it would be a righteous idea to add both acids to the water, not mix them and then add them. HCL and nitric ain't that friendly when concentrated. :nono:

Latest posts

Back