• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi Jager Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillohide

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Found this used so bought it. Has not been fired much, at least with a bullet because it still has bluing inside the barrel, no rust, no pits. Looks like it has been in storage since the 80's. I have some questions because the person I bought it from didn't know anything. I'm assuming this is a .577 bore not .580 because the .570 RB and .018 patch I put down my GM 58 barrel did not want to go and the .575 new version Minie's I have just fit. With lube they should ram down easy enough. I think these were imported by Navy Arms until about 1980. There is a wide variance on rate of twist with the Zouave reproductions. Anyone know what the twist of this Italian version might be?

Your GM 58 no doubt has much deeper roundball type rifling and gives the patch someplace to compress. The shallow minie rifling in the CW rifles is designed to grab a minie's flared skirt, and you do not want deep rifling for that or you get a lot of blowby and gas cutting of the minie. A round ball may still work, but you are going to probably need much lighter patching...maybe .012.

Have no idea only know from the internet search I did for Armi Jager (had it spelled right the first time) that Navy Arms was their US importer. Somebody else could have also imported them. Neither is now in business so it's a mute point.

Judging from how tight the .570 rb and .018 patch would have been I think I might try the .562 rb with a .015 patch. But, not to worried about that, it will shoot what it will shoot once I try it out. Just wonder if anyone knows what twist this is ... 1:48, 1:56 0r 1:72? All were made.

With a tight patch and a marked rammer, you should be able to figure this out yourself fairly easily. Shove the patch down the barrel until the tick mark on the rammer rotates 90 degrees. Mark the rammer where it enters the barrel. Pull out the rammer, measure the distance from that mark to the tip of the rammer, multiply by 4 and you have your twist.

Thanks I'll try that. But don't think it's going to matter whatever it is ... it's a shooter. Just got back from the range, once I got used to the sight picture got one 2" 3 shot group at 100 yards with the Lyman 575213 510 grain Minie, 60 grains ffg and crisco. My other groups weren't quite that good but elevation was right on and windage about 3 inches left. I don't see a dovetail under the front sight so don't know if it can be drifted but it's close enough for a little "Kentucky Windage". Will have to get that mold so don't have to reform the skirts on these bag minie's. It's not hot down here yet but need to get over to Home Depot and get a 100% beeswax toilet ring so I can make my crisco/beeswax concoction. Do you guys put a wad down over the powder?

Dixie sell's a swage for those thatworks just great on my 58's, but makeing your own is fun too! Fred :hatsoff: ( yes the front sight is none moveing)

Latest posts

Back