• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi Sport 45 Cal. Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dixie Gun Works list them for $375.00 on sale for $250.00. A friend of mine bought one. We haven't shoot it yet. What has me wondering is, Dixle says it has .005 deep button rifleing. Does anyone have one of these pistols and what load do you recommend. I am thinking a tight patch like a T/C Hawken because of the shallow rifleing.

Robert

I don't own one of those pistols, but I do own a couple of .45 cal jobs (favorite being the Thompson Center Patriot). I would start out with maybe 20 grains FFFG. I wouldn't go much higher than 25 grains. 30 grains would be the maximum. 20 grains is good, adjust up or down 5 grains. :hmm:

I would not recommend using a tight patch in the pistol even with the shallow rifling.
Actually, the shallow rifling would only need a .010 thick patch and it is unlikely the gun would be fired with a powder charge powerful enough to make the patched ball "skip" the rifling.

The gun is made for a .440 diameter ball and Dixie says a 30 grain 3Fg powder charge can be used in it.

I wouldn't go any heavier on the powder charge than that because there is a good possibility of damaging the stock.

Thank you Zonie. That is what I was waiting to hear. I don't know anything about pistols and didn't know what thickness patch material to use. I will have him buy some .010 tight weave material and we will try his new pistol out this weekend.

Robert

Back