• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

As the old saying goes....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramble

40 Cal.
Reaction score
"even a blind sow can find an acorn now and agin"

The year did not start well. A hangfire, two flat out misses, and a misfire. Just a bit discouraging, but still having fun.

Thanksgiving morning, slipped into the blind before daybreak. Nothing moved by 10:00, not even squirrels were feeding. It had rained until about dawn, so I decided that I'd move about and try to slip up on some venison.

I topped as small rise and saw motion to my left. A large doe who hadn't seen me. My luck (bad) was holding, she was just across the line on the other feller's property. She was however, slowly feeding my way. So I waited. And watched. I'd gotten burned more than twice when the deer I didn't see spooked the one I was concentrating on. It paid off this time as I noticed the follower. Then I noticed the follower had antlers. Not just antlers, BIG antlers. The doe quickly moved down in priority. She moved to my left, crossed the property line through a small shooting lane. The BUCK followed but crossed the clearing too quickly for me to get a shot. He stopped in light brush , forty yards, and I took my shot. He took off. I looked for some sign that he'd been hit, but there was none. Of course there was none, I missed.

I headed back the way I came, and as I topped the rise, exactly the point from which I'd shot to the left, there was a deer to my right! Deep breath, slow down. It was a very nice 6 to 8 pointer (OK, the uncertainty gives that one away) following my doe from episode I. Also in the chase was the BUCK that was wearing the rocking chair on his head.

I've seen hunting shows where people sit around and watch trophy bucks mill about, but my experience has always been that they may hang around for cameras, but tend to put in much briefer appearances when firearms are present. This broke set. I watched the three of them for fifteen minutes. Again they were on the neighbor's property, but moving in the right direction. At times, all I could see was that rack moving, as weeds and brush obscured his body.

The doe then broke free of cover and I just knew that the big fellow would follow. Kneeling behind an oak I used her to pre-sight. Then THE BUCK came out. At the crack of the shot he fell. As I reloaded he tried to get up, but it was apparent that it was a spine shot. I approached. I figured he'd bleed out, but it was a high shoulder shot, through and through clipping the spine. I wasn't about to let him suffer. A heart/lung shot from close up finished it. I was fortunate to have a couple of young friends to help drag him out.

Thompson Center Hawken, .50
65 gr pyrodex
home cast roundball
75 yards.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanksgiving2007033.jpg

Epilogue:

"There only two types of husbands, those that are henpecked and those that are liars".

Money's a little tight. I have some aged cherry. A nice European mount was in my future. Then the wife steps in saying that I have to get it mounted. She was insistent and would hear of nothing else. So I responded as I have throughout 30 wonderful years of marriage, "yes dear".

Nice Buck Bramble, Great story also! Good Luck with the mount hope it turns out good for you. :thumbsup:

Looks like the deer and wife are both special. I have a pretty nice 10 point that I had mounted in 1982. When Yvonne and I told my Mother we were getting married, she answered "You get the deer, too!"

Wow too bad Black Powder hunting mag isn't around any longer! Great story fantastic buck!

Billy

Good goin' Bramble! :thumbsup:
That's one heck of a nice buck. Great story and pics too. Just goes to show, bad luck ain't forever.
And Happy Birthday! :hatsoff:

Nice Going! :thumbsup:
Get the mount done. You'll kick yourself later down the road if you don't. :bow:

Bramble,
Congrats on your Good luck!Nice Buck too!Why does that Deer have Blue Eyes?First one I have ever seen that way!

Congratulations! Now get out there and practice some more so that there won't be any more missing!!

Hello from Germany.

Nice buck, nice story, nice rifle. Congrats and Waidmanns Heil from Germany!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back