• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

asm Remington 1858

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhands

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Trying to get back in bp shooting but retired on a fixed income.A booth at an antique mall has A Remington style 1858 by ASM. Looks to be unfired. Had the cylinder out and bore,cyl,nipples everything is clean. Lock up is tight. No back and forth play in the cylinder.No stains on the brass frame or outer barrel. Grips pristine. Looked at Piettas but their brass is so polished it looks like plastic.The brass on this ASM has a classy duller look. Can't do better then 200 with them and really can't afford more considering the other start up stuff I'll need. What do you think?

When you say "brass frame" are you speaking of the whole frame or just the trigger guard?

If it is a steel framed gun with a brass trigger guard it might be worth the price.

If it is a brass frame with a brass trigger guard I think it is too high of a price to pay.

Far too much! ASM was one of the lower end manufacturers as far as quality went and they are no longer in business. If possible you should avoid a brass frame as the steel framed revolvers hold up much better, read longer life. Cabela's sells a Pietta Remington for $270 + $5 shipping and if you are patient they put them on sale often with a considerable savings. Do not bother with their starter kit as the total value of the items is far less than the price.

Try Cabela's you can get a brass framed .44 for around 150 bucks at times. And that is brand new and a Pietta. And if you time it right you can get free shipping if there is not one near you.

As mentioned Cabela's 1858's are made by Pietta (as are Traditions brand 1858's). The newer brass frame revolvers made about the last 12 -14 years have stronger alloy brass. They also have larger grip frames than older guns like the ASM. Good if you have large hands.

As others stated better off with a new Cabela's Pietta Remington in brass frame (which can be dulled to a mellow color) or preferably a steel frame. Just wait for a good sale.

Also agree with other posters the ASM Remington is too high at $200. The ASM is probably worth $125 -$160 to learn on and have fun.

Consider shopping your local gun shows. Sometimes very good deals can be found.

You do not need to spend much to start shooting. Instead of a powder flask consider making some powder scoops with cartridge cases and coat hanger wire. Just put your powder in a plastic tub like a margarine tub and scoop it. Be sure to put the cover back on the tub after loading and set it safely out of spark range.

Some good tips. Appreciate it. Think I'll take the advice and keep my eyes open for a good sale. There is a new Academy Sports opening near me in early March. Maybe I'll see if they have any grand opening specials. By the way you guys are right about the starter kits that come with some of them. Kinda chintzy. Probably do better buying what I need individually. Especially the measure's. I did some bp shooting decades ago but because I was young I did not appreciate the routine and tradition. At 67 I have more patience but less money but that's not a bad combination at the range. LOL.

Robert an saa fan said:
As mentioned Cabela's 1858's are made by Pietta (as are Traditions brand 1858's). The newer brass frame revolvers made about the last 12 -14 years have stronger alloy brass. They also have larger grip frames than older guns like the ASM. Good if you have large hands.

As others stated better off with a new Cabela's Pietta Remington in brass frame (which can be dulled to a mellow color) or preferably a steel frame. Just wait for a good sale.

Also agree with other posters the ASM Remington is too high at $200. The ASM is probably worth $125 -$160 to learn on and have fun.

Consider shopping your local gun shows. Sometimes very good deals can be found.

You do not need to spend much to start shooting. Instead of a powder flask consider making some powder scoops with cartridge cases and coat hanger wire. Just put your powder in a plastic tub like a margarine tub and scoop it. Be sure to put the cover back on the tub after loading and set it safely out of spark range.
You just made me remember something. I think we used a .45 brass case as a measure back in the day but I forget if held the right amount for a .36 or .44.

bpd303 said:
Here's a link to cartridges & powder amounts they will hold. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/247958/
Welcome back to the addiction. :grin:
Thanks for that chart. 45acp I think would be perfect for generic target shooting. Just a little under a full load(30gr) for a .44. I live in the burbs so the only place I can shoot is the public range. As far as an addiction,the wife thinks I have to many now.Only have 10.A few long guns and hand guns.Had to convince the wife by telling her it will get me out of the house for a few hours more a month. She went for that. LOL. She does like her .38 in the house though.

Last edited by a moderator:
as others have said leave it there. parts are hard to get it is a brass frame. and I can tell you from experience the inner working parts are not that hard. so they ware fast.

save your money and buy the cabalas pistol.

Back