• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ATV, do you ride?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i never use a atv on a hunt or do i ride mine i hardly ever use it lol its just a little yamoto60

Tree stand? Not this child. Too scary.

Interesting...while I'm fully aware of the risks of hunting from treestands, and take prudent precautions, I've come to feel more at risk walking in & out of the woods to/from my treestand than I do when I'm in it, out of the line of fire.

Only after getting up into it do I feel safest...on the ground I feel much more vulnerable to an unlucky stray shot, or an unsafe 'sound shot' by some yahoo, than I do sitting a mere 8-10' off the ground, buckled up against the tree...
:m2c:

Mr. Hoyt,
Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!
Best Wishes

Preciate it WindWalker..I'm hopin (and prayin) for a balloon or stint and be back in the woods in a day or two.

Can't stand the things, I'm waiting for PA. to open up a season on them, black powder I hope! (Only kidding!)

Doug

Hey fellas
"O" Come on... Who would use one while carrying a smoke pole... I believe this says it all fellas... In a traditional hunt ATV should be bannned!!! Unless there is a medical problem that is.... Nothing is worse than being all decked out and then one of these demmon carts come rippen past...
No thank you I will drag the game a few clicks... :imo: Gee doesn't anyone walk any more!!!
My Best regards
(and watch out for 4 wheeeled demons)
Loyalist dawg :hatsoff:

OK, I wasn't going to answer this ,but it's going to haunt me untill I do. No I don,t use ATV,s while hunting or anything else. when I,m in the woods amoung natures creatures, I feel those machines have no place there. Not with their noise, or thier gas fumes or thier oil leaks.I have had more than one hunt ruined by them, and the excuse of "gee mister I didn't know you were here" just doesn't cut it any more. Where there should only be tracks of deer, fox and coon, there are now tracks of Big Nobies or dirt grippers or what ever they are calling the groung ripping rut leaving , super tires they sold these nimrods.Where you would only hear the sounds of a squirrel rustelling in the leaves,the hammering of a woodpecker or the cry of a hawk you now hear electric starters whinning ,branches cracking and overpowered engines getting closer and closer to your deer stand.
No I don't use em , never have and never will. Gets much worse ,might as well take a stand on the side of the road.
And thats all I have to say about that.

I hunt in South Carolina on pulp/paper property and those red clay logging road are impassable when it rains. Your truck's tire will "mud-up" and you're going no where. Anyway, I use one to get to the area that I'm going, then walk in.

Turkey.jpg

If I didn't, I would've had to tote this little fella 1/4 a mile to the truck... the horror.

SP

I think the real truth of the matter is how heavy that corn they sell at the Wal-mart gets. And what's a guy suppose to do with the empty sacks [put them in your possibiles bag]?My feeling is, if you can't get back in there on your on, then it belongs to the game. And if you got a medical problem then, you need to take a stand up close to the road. That's how I feel. And don't think for a minute that you can't get into the game...cause if you are patient the stuff will come to you. There is no excuse for running down game with gasoline engines and stealing the habitat. Did you know that this is near about the same subject that got the Native Americans and the settlers into war. The woods and wild ain't there to become civilized. It is good and proper all by itself. Of course, pretty soon they'll be a road or a parking lot that's easy...heck if it's a high rise parking deck, you can just take a stand in there and wait for the "moment of truth". :peace:

OF,
I hunt in Saluda, Greenwood, Lauren, and Oconee. You're more than welcome to come along any time.

SP

First of all Flint4ever hit the nail on the head!!!
Hi Slowpoke
Not to be an "donkey" but say what's a 1/4 mile. No word of a lie I hunt thousands of acres of Crown land north of Parry Sound Ontario. I trailed a buck for over 2 miles, then shot him. He was a 180 pound (wieght taken after gutt'en and the knees down removed, also after it was hung 5 days) 10 point buck. Not bragg'en but I litterly dragged him 3 miles as the crow flies (who knows how far as the Dawg wonders)... Threw swamps one wet wood, one grass, over hills, crossed two streams. Who would want it any other way. This is a matter of pride for my hunting partner and I. We don't won't use'm... Like I said before there is noth'en worse than hik'en back into natures arm pit to have nature peed on by an ATV.Unless there is medical reasons Bann'em on primitive hunts I say!!! :m2c: best regards Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

No problems here LD, I was just teasing a little, but I'm lazy, I'll admit it. I don't want to walk 1/2 a mile in the dark to my treestand then back. Especially carrying my climber and bow.. yuck. Especially when I can ride.

During muzzleloading season I "hunt" out of one of these.

DSCN0088Small.jpg

I guess I really shouldn't call it hunting, more like ambushing. Because all I do is sit there and wait for a deer to walk through a shooting lane or down a power line.

SP

Cant use em in the Monongahela National Forest........If you do and get caught.......They put you under the jail....Dont have one myself.....Sometimes it takes hours to drag in a deer.........If I had one I would feel so stupid carrying a flintlock with it,that I might as well bring a 300 Mangelum which I detest........But then agin I should feel stupid carrying a GPS and a Cell Phone.......LOL.........Bob

Why sure, it's the only way to go. I own two which my dad, my son and myself use on every hunting trip. Without this my dad would be unable to hunt with us in most cases. There or just as many hunter's out there that don't respect fellow hunter's whether they use atv's or not,

I use my ATV mostly for scouting and toting my treestand up the mountain before season. If there's a management area hunt that I want to participate in, I'll use it there, because the area that I like to hunt is about 2 miles from the blacktop, and too rough for my 4WD pick-up. My ATV gets used more for yardwork than anything else.

Hi Tyson
Yes that is my point, in your dads case there is a reason, a good reason to boot. I agree he should be allowed to use it for medical reasons, however I still stand by my orginal statement. The regular gun season is for modern stuff. The pole seasons are for the historical feelings. They should allow medical reasons to be exempt from a ban however the rest should get back to basics if there is a "special season". The re pro traditional muzzle loading season is and should be void of any modern humdrum BS,including in-lines!!! So lets be honest it's harder to use a muzzle loader than a modern style fire arm. After all my Odd six can blow the heart out of a deer almost out to 200 (I have done it), but my fifty is really only good to 40 or 50... regardless of the stories. They whole reason for a muzzle loader hunt should be the historical and to satisfy the Davy Crooket syndrome... Why ruin it with the ear piercing rumble, whinning, clanging, banging, screaming, piece and quite breaking, ungodly *%$&ing noise... Oops :sorry: I got carried away there...
"O" wells you get the picture and reasoning I hope ... Best regards loyalist Dawg :imo: :hatsoff:
PS That's ok, most of my friends Ok all of them believe I was born 2 or 3 hundred years too late... :crackup:

No. Don't have one, don;t want one. I have , on occasion, been tempted to gut-shoot one. Or two......

Nope. Our camp is several miles off the hard road through timber company property. We drive in to camp and hunt several hundred acres (surrounded by thousands) and its mostly thick woods so walkin's best. In fact, hate to say it, but usually don't go when one of my brothers goes with his kids and takes their 4-wheeler's cause they like to ride all over, talk loud, slam car doors, etc., etc. Must admit he's killed more big bucks than me :curse: :haha: I like to speak softly and tread light when in the woods and hunting camp. Its one habit my Dad instilled that stuck with me; don't slam vehicle doors (or cabin) in the woods. 4-wheelers have their place as a utility vehicle or for fun ridin'. :m2c:

Back