• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Availability of Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the 28 gauge copper came in. Glad it was cheap. Too thick, too hard, and brittle. When I tried to make a cap with it, it broke off down inside the die and I had a dickens of a time getting it out. Back to aluminum cans unless I can find a much thinner piece of copper.
Think annealing might do any good? I've seen some guys talk about using sheet brass before and mentioning that it has to be annealed before it can be made into caps.

I use actual black powder. Not fond of the substitutes. Guess I’m just old school. They are a little dirtier but it cleans up nicely so that’s not a real issue.
I did receive my 28 gauge copper. It’s too thick and too hard. Stick with the aluminum cans for now. I’m looking for thinner copper but not sure I’ll find any.
I bet you can anneal copper. I know about annealing (softening) metals like steel, brass, and aluminum. All have their own procedure of hearing (steel cherry red, aluminum, just hot enough to burn off carbon left from a carburizing flame.). I'd have to check on copper, but it sounds like it needs to be annealed. 28 gauge sounds a bit thick also

Some are using K&S Copper or soft brass 36 gauge ,005 . They are in roles of 10" x 30". Enough to make 1200 cups depending on you. When I'm using them I lube the sheet with paste wax or it sticks. I do like double wall pop cans as that works best.

Again, and I hate to be redundant but Parris Toy Caps from Cabelas will get you by. You just have to thumb press some fine power into the nipple orifice to make it a litter hotter than what it produces.
I purchased some Super Bang Ring Caps (toy gun caps) from Dollar General a couple of years ago. They do work, sometimes, but you have to be cautious. They can go off with just finger pressure.

for a while there any supplies black powder or smokeless, well lets say not in circulation. I began making my own, Patch, Wads, Lube, Balls, Caps, switch to pyrodex, it was a ghost also but could be found at least. I have no regret and no need to run to the store, IF (and big IF) I am in a store that might have I do look and pick up 3-4 tins of caps but really have no reason just to search for them. Most times I wasted a good walk to look.

Well, the 28 gauge copper came in. Glad it was cheap. Too thick, too hard, and brittle. When I tried to make a cap with it, it broke off down inside the die and I had a dickens of a time getting it out. Back to aluminum cans unless I can find a much thinner piece of copper.
it can be softened with aa propane tortch. heat until red and let cool

copper and brass both work harden. It can be bought dead soft to hard. annealing brass needs to cool slowly, copper can be quenched. the process of making Capps is not enough to work harden copper.

Back