• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

backaches over workbench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George F.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Am I among th few unfortuninate builders out there who suffers from a backache when hunched over the work bench. Dosen't take long either, 15 minutes will do it. I think its because I'm getting older and not in as good of shape as I use to be when I started this 15 years ago.
...........George F.

:grin: Well the way I look at that is to either, block the bench up higher or make a set of longer legs or yet invest in an adjustable working stool. I know that feeling quite well and I invested in an adjustable draftsman's chair which is infinitely adjustable, has a soft seat and good back & foot rest. If you have a Staple's locally, that's where got mine, less than $100. :hatsoff:

Pasquenel said:
:grin: Well the way I look at that is to either, block the bench up higher or make a set of longer legs or yet invest in an adjustable working stool. I know that feeling quite well and I invested in an adjustable draftsman's chair which is infinitely adjustable, has a soft seat and good back & foot rest. If you have a Staple's locally, that's where got mine, less than $100. :hatsoff:

Amen to an adjustable chair .. these legs, feets n back aint what they used ta be! :thumbsup:

Davy

For the past 30 years, any workbench I've built has come up to just below my chest...Hank

Sounds like these fellows have the right prescription ie. higher bench, adjustable seat and footrail. I, too, suffer from gunsmith's lumbago, plus a couple of broken vertebrae, arthritis, old age, etc. I spend 8 hours a day hunkered over guns earning my daily bread. Codeine and muscle relaxers worked for a few decades but one's judgement suffers. I combine a higher bench, brilliant lighting, adjustable stool and footrail with lots of moaning and bitching. Under my breath of course. :yakyak:

madstone said:
Sounds like these fellows have the right prescription ie. higher bench, adjustable seat and footrail. I, too, suffer from gunsmith's lumbago, plus a couple of broken vertebrae, arthritis, old age, etc. I spend 8 hours a day hunkered over guns earning my daily bread. Codeine and muscle relaxers worked for a few decades but one's judgement suffers. I combine a higher bench, brilliant lighting, adjustable stool and footrail with lots of moaning and bitching. Under my breath of course. :yakyak:

Don fergit thim telerscope/microscope eyeglasses neether! :nono:

Davy

I did fergit them big magnifying glasses with a light around them. Them yankee gun co's is gettin' tricky! The parts are getting smaller and my arms are getting shorter! Only a combination of good lenses and brilliant light make me able to see what I'm doing anymore. The naked eye is better for the gals though! :rotf:

George, be sure you are standing on a mat of some kind. The rubber mats with the holes in them, made specicaly for standing on are best, I use wooden slats1" off the floor. Anything that has some give. Also, set your bench hieght so the top of your vice is at elbow level. Hope that helps

Cody

I do all of the above.A stool is good for much work,but for inletting Etc. I find it best to be standing on the floor. :thumbsup:

i second the motion on the rubber mats. i have them behind my reloading bench and the made a world of difference. also put carpet padding under them, really gives when you walk on it.

You mean I'm the only one who sits on the floor to work?(kinda like sitting on your workbench).

I can sympathize with the back pain from bending over. I'm good for about 10-15 minutes bending over working on my car or truck. Then the old back says "well, if your going to bend over like that, I think I'll just leave you in that position. You aren't as young as you once were."

yeah ya just have to make sure it's high enough to comferbly work.....................bob

327197.jpg

Bob, they say "a clean desk(bench) is the sign of a sick mind". GADZOOKS man, :shocked2: I'm thinkin' you must be one sick puppy!!!
here's my shop
shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

I guess I must be incredibly sane :blah:

Cody

yeah but ya read the date the photo was taken and how clean the wood is???....give me time will ya guys :rotf: ..................bob

George, see if your ins covers chiropractor, works well once a week, I also agree bout the taller bench and pads, if you have a cosco near by they sell 6 2'x2' pads, hi density anti fatigue pads for 8 bucks, love em, good luck with the hunch! Jim

I'm a carpenter by trade,hence I've had problems with myback going out on me about once a year maybe once every two years. The last time I went to a chiropractor( which I DO BELIEVE IN )was two years ago. Had a upper back problem between my shoulder blades. He took x-rays and told me that I had scoloius. Now i know what curvature of the spine looks like, and it isn't something that just pops-up since the last time I saw a chiropractor of a friend of mine( It's his cousin I have used him over the years when I could hardly walk).If you had seen these x-rays you'd say "MY God!!! " Whell I grew very suspicious wheh he kept on pushing this extended trearment plan, emphasizing that if I paid NOW that he'd cut the price in 1/2, and if I paid in cash he'd cut it another 20%, anmd that he should really be forwarding me to a surgeon... I told him to adjust me with the next three visits and THAT'S IT. Chiropracors are good but when you run into a shiester like this one....RUN!!!
By the way there's nothing wrong with my back as the scolious is concerned...and I will when ever my back goes out (sub laxation) use the services of a reputable chiropractor.......George F.
Thanks for the response I appreciate it

Cody, you're doing a good job of utilizing the surface area of your benches. You're just not stacking it deep enough. Most all your stuff is still visable. You should try to rectify this :winking: .

Geeezzz!! I'm still using coffee cans to hold my tools!!Does your better half say to you"How in the hell do you know where to find anything?" :rotf: You know neatness is not a bad trait? just one I've not mastered. :shocked2:

Cody, thats some mess you have. Mine is really bad but not as bad as yours. Seems everything gets taken out, and buries the previously used tools and so on and so on. The worst part about mine is that I live in a 2 bedroom 2nd floor apartment....I wish I could find my memory cards for my camera, maybe I should look on my workbench........George F.

Latest posts

Back