• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad CCI caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i opened all 10 tins. only one tin looked proper. all the rest have multiple empty caps and lots off loose propellant floating around in them. I contacted CCI with photos and they are refunding my purchace price but can not send me replacement caps or steer me to a retailer that has caps in stock all they do is ship to wholesalers. I would say that their response was good. fast and helpfull but obviously would be much better if they could have replaced the caps.
Would there be any chance of glueing the individual propellants back in or is it all too loose to mess with?

so i opened all 10 tins. only one tin looked proper. all the rest have multiple empty caps and lots off loose propellant floating around in them. I contacted CCI with photos and they are refunding my purchace price but can not send me replacement caps or steer me to a retailer that has caps in stock all they do is ship to wholesalers. I would say that their response was good. fast and helpfull but obviously would be much better if they could have replaced the caps.
Could always save the empty ones and buy a cap making thing.

Be cautious about the heritage of the modern caps , and rifle primers , you buy these days , even in small sporting goods stores. When primers and caps got scarce six months or more ago , guys were going to home auction sales , and flea mkts. , and buying aged ammo , caps , primers , etc. selling the stuff to small sport shops , and they selling to desperate consumers. I know a guy that dumped all his old primers , and caps from the early 1970's at a sport shop to be sold . Buyer beware.

North fork. the rep that I talked to did not mention anything about not making caps. He only said that they could not ship to individuals and that they ship only to large wholesalers who then ship to retail stores.

North fork. the rep that I talked to did not mention anything about not making caps. He only said that they could not ship to individuals and that they ship only to large wholesalers who then ship to retail stores.
ATK/Vista Outdoors (who owns CCI) is concentrating on the common modern cartridges right now. They (ATK) are not even making common but older cartridges like 30-30Win, 45-70, 35 Whelen, etc. If you have a 22LR, 9mm, 308Win, 223/5.56, 243Win, etc you can find ammo. Scarce and expensive but it is on the shelves. By the way, this is the same group owns Remington Ammunition now after the Remington bankruptcy. Don't expect Rem #10 caps anytime soon either. And Winchester #11's are made by.........guess who.........CCI. So in a nutshell, American perc. cap production has halted for now.

CCI has always been a manure shoot

the primer often falls out

I keep RWS and Remington caps in my box. The old CCI caps are only retained for the day I run out of good caps.

When you have no other option, make sure every cap you use has priming compound in it and the cap is well seated to the nipple. Poor cap fit combined with substandard made caps...not going to bang when needed.

worst case scenario you could learn about geology and then travel to the right place to find the right flint and knap yourself a lifetime supply.

I had some Remington caps that dropped out the primer disc years ago. I just put the plug back in the cap and fired them when plinking. Most went bang.
Makes sense. Maybe even go through the tins and glue the primer discs back in with a dab of duco cement which should also waterproof them. I've had tins where one or two primers got loose but never bothered with them. Next time I try to get them to work.

Makes sense. Maybe even go through the tins and glue the primer discs back in with a dab of duco cement which should also waterproof them. I've had tins where one or two primers got loose but never bothered with them. Next time I try to get them to work.
How about this. Do not buy another tin of CCI primers until they get their sh it together.

Primers went from .03 a piece to .15 a piece and we're sitting here talking about gluing their crappy, falling apart, product back together.

Everyone sitting on their wallets is a way to punish a company that cares not one wit about their customers. And, yes, they've heard about their #11s being unreliable junk.

Send them a message and stop rewarding them for stealing our money and providing nothing in return.

How about this. Do not buy another tin of CCI primers until they get their sh it together.

Primers went from .03 a piece to .15 a piece and we're sitting here talking about gluing their crappy, falling apart, product back together.

Everyone sitting on their wallets is a way to punish a company that cares not one wit about their customers. And, yes, they've heard about their #11s being unreliable junk.

Send them a message and stop rewarding them for stealing our money and providing nothing in return.
Right, but at this time, where is the competition? We'll have to make our own or quit shooting. It's like "We will over charge you for manure and you'll be glad to get it" Edit....Forum keeps changing my choice of using the word manure with manure. Did it again. Is the word C...R...A....P forbidden? Grrrr! Don't like being censored!

Last edited:
My goodness. If some of you want to complain about modern products, you sure in heck wouldn't have made it back in the day!

Especially those of you whining about cap primer falling out of a few 😂
Only because most of our shooting is at paper or steel. Back in the day a faulty cap could mean not eating, or getting eaten, or other unpleasant things. I think back then they would have been even more upset over bad caps than we are today.

Sounds like to me you can reuse the empty caps by getting some roll caps and experiment with them.
Who knows you might buy the cap maker from 22 reloader. You have nothing to loose but the price
of the roll caps at this point in time.
Gunnyr

Last edited:
Back