• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Balance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to hollow out the stock and pour melted lead in to help balance both long rifles, and halfstocks intended for youth.. If you remove the buttplate you can get quite a bit of lead in and then replace the butt plate.The extra weight helps stabalise the rifle as well as improving the balance.It will make for a heavier gun for carrying , but the better balance will make it seem lighter for shooting.

great carving- really looks nice!

as regards the weight/balance point, i would want it to balance just around the left hand, assuming that your left forearm is more or less perpindicular to the ground as you hold the rifle. The GPR style will, however, probably put your balance point slightly ahead of this point, but as is suggested, you'll get the feel for this and i think you'll be very happy with your new rifle.

When you build a longer barrelled flintlock (just a matter of time, fellas; this one is well hooked) you will probably want the balance point to fall slightly behind the left hand: this will allow you to shoulder the rifle quickly, and it will leave the right hand for all those minor adjustments. Additionally, this will make the rifle easier to carry.

good luck, and please do post photos of the final build

I posted the build so far. It is now in the builders bench forum.
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Kirby

learn to shoot it "as is" they are wickedly accurate. and all your gonna do by adding wieght, is make it even heavier. i love my GPR and will never get ride of it! mine a .50cal also! and i can shoot off hand. but i'm a pretty big guy.
gprbuild004-2-1.jpg

Karwelis,
What finish did you put on the barrel and furniture on that rifle in the picture?
I am a little guy, short reach. I don't know if I will add weight to the sock or not, yet. I will shoot it a bit first. I can always drill and add weight later.
Kirby

I've got one just like Karwelis' only in .54 cal. and I woudn't trade mine for anything either. I have both barrels, one for round ball and one for hunting. I have absolutely no problem with mine offhand, but I am 6' 3", 230#. :thumbsup:

Paddlefoot said:
I've got one just like Karwelis' only in .54 cal. and I woudn't trade mine for anything either. I have both barrels, one for round ball and one for hunting. I have absolutely no problem with mine offhand, but I am 6' 3", 230#. :thumbsup:

One for round ball and one for hunting? I'm not sure what that means since most folks consider a .54 ball to be a good hunting projectile. What's the other barrel for?

I have both barrels, one for round ball and one for hunting

Huh? :hmm:

Must be he's a target shooter with the rifle and his second barrel is a smoothbore that he only hunts birds and bunnies with using shot. :haha:

I use a round ball for all my deer hunting with a firearm - regular deer season included. Nothing wrong with a round ball applied properly.

mahtosapanumpa
As the others have said, adding weight to the stock will increase the total weight of the rifle but, it will do something else too.

Because the weight will be located quite a ways below the barrel the inertia of the added weight will cause the muzzle of the gun to rise more when the gun is fired.
This is a simple matter of physics and the only way to stop it is to mount the added weight in line with the barrel.
Of course, that isn't possible so, if you do this remember what I said as the muzzle rises abruptly and the cheek piece slaps your face.

Wow, you're doing some great carving work. I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

I wouldn't suggest adding weight to the stock until you've carried it a while and shot it a lot. Just to make sure where you want the balance point and if it's worth the extra added weight to get it. Good idea making the hole in the wood ahead of time, but I think waiting to fill it might be wise.

The GPR is heavy to carry in the field. That's just the nature of the beast. If there was a way to reduce the weight, I'd be all for it, but I actually prefer them a bit heavy towards the muzzle. It helps stabilize the barrel and that can come in handy in the field if you don't have a rest handy. Even when I hunted with modern guns, I'd go with a heavier barrel profile to get a little more weight forward for stability, though I'd try to build a relatively light gun overall, for carryability.

Back