• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball Pulling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titegroups

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got my .54 renegade to the range this afternoon, got three shoots out of it and then got a load that wouldn't fire. Tried several caps, removed nipple, not plugged up, was using 60g of triple 7 and prb. Next step I would guess is to get the charge out so I can get the channel opened up, of course the screw on the breech plug is frozen in but good, do those ball screw things work or are there better ways? Have seen the CO2 unloaders.

Yes the screw in ball pullers work but not with the ran rod that comes with the gun. Any way I wouldn't want to use it. Get a range rod. Are you sure you have a powder charge in the barrel? It's not a dry ball? The charge needs to be made safe before you do anything.

Take the nipple off, trickle a little powder down the hole. Knock the side and trickle a little more, repeat a few times.
Screw the nipple back in, point it in a safe direction and shoot. :thumbsup:
If there is no charge, that little bit is usually enough to shoot it out.
If there is a charge, it's enough to clear any blockage and "BOOM".

I'll give it a try in the morning. I cleaned the gun very well before taking it to the range so I was surprised at the misfire so early in the session, I was running a patch between shots also, but was having a conversation with a friend while loading it. I don't multitask all that well anymore. Need to mark the ramrod.

necchi said:
Take the nipple off, trickle a little powder down the hole. Knock the side and trickle a little more, repeat a few times.
Screw the nipple back in, point it in a safe direction and shoot. :thumbsup:
If there is no charge, that little bit is usually enough to shoot it out.
If there is a charge, it's enough to clear any blockage and "BOOM".

This should work...For this reason, however, I am big fan of the CO2 dischargers! :wink:

Unless you flush the powder chamber, and the flash channel with alcohol, to removed dried oils, you will get misfires, and blockages. Use cheap, isopropyl alcohol you buy at the grocery store. It will evaporate both the water in the alcohol, and the grease with it. Fire a couple of caps off on the new cleaned barrel to make sure that your flash channel and powder chambers are clear. You should see flame coming out the muzzle, just firing a cap, in the dark. And air from the barrel forced out should move any leaf you find laying on the ground, or the leaves of any tall grass you have, if you hold the muzzle a couple of inches from them. The current priming compounds are Non-corrosive, but you want to clean them out before transporting the gun to the range. And, put a very THIN coat of oil down the barrel to protect it from rust during the trip. Leave the powder chamber, and flash channel dry for the trip. Wipe the residue from the outside of the nipple.

Personally, I don't like the cheap isopropyl alcohol sold at the drug store for cleaning out oil etc. from the bore or breech of a muzzleloader.

Most of it is 20-40 percent water and that water can cause as much trouble as the alcohol removes.

The Denatured Alcohol sold at hardware stores is pure alcohol with no water in it. It drys fast and leaves no water behind. It also does a better job (IMO) of killing any oils that were in the bore/breech.

As for the original topic, its been my experience that if the gun has been successfully fired a few times and it then refuses to fire, oil in the flame channel isn't the problem.

In this case, I bet the problem is most likely a dry ball. The old adage about never talking with anyone while loading has a good reason for existing.

Second on the list is too much moisture on the "wiping patch" leaving water in the breech.
A wiping patch should be DAMP, NOT WET.
The idea here is to remove the fouling without soaking the breech with water. Even if one runs a few dry patches to remove the water from the bore, if there was enough water on the patch it will run down into the chambered breech found on most modern factory rifles and this water won't be removed with a bore sized patch/jag. It will just sit there waiting to kill the next powder load.

Third on the list is fouling broken off of the barrel walls by the "wiping patch" that falls down into the chambered breech and plugs the flame channel.
This is usually caused by folks running a damp "wiping patch" up and down the bore several times in an effort to remove all traces of the existing fouling.
IMO, the proper way is to run a damp patch down the bore to the breech, count to 5 and then pull it back out of the gun. Then run one dry patch down the bore to the breech and pull it back out. Do this only once.

I don't know why everyone seems to think they need to wipe their bores after each shot.
Sure, if they are competing for prizes in a heated competition wiping might make the difference between a 9 and a 10 but for most shooters they will never see the difference.
I suggest that folks should only wipe the bore when ramming the ball starts getting difficult. Then, wipe before loading the next shot.

Like them or don't, the psudo-black powders produce very little fouling and usually a rifle can be fired 20-30 times before fouling accumulates to the point that wiping is needed at all.
I've personally fired over 50 shots using Pyrodex without wiping the bore once and the 50th load was as easy to run down the bore as the 2nd load.

I only find out that the barrel needs cleaning when my PRB Sticks half way down the barrel!

I load to a mark on my ramrod, to get the best accuracy by being consistent. I clean after every shot for the same reason. If I don't clean, the residue and crud that builds up in my guns prevents the PRB from being loaded to the mark, and each shot after, the PRB sits further forward of that mark. Shots string on a target.

You are apparently alot luckier than I am. Perhaps its because of where you live, and shoot.

I have used spit, water, Hoppes Black Solve and patch lube, Young Country Lube 101, various oils, etc. to lube my patches over the more than 30 years I have been shooting. NOthing seems to allow me to continue shooting for more than a couple of shots before a PRB gets STUCK in the barrel.

When I clean between shots, I am able to shoot the smallest groups with the gun. Its what works for me. I don't demand anyone else to do the same.

If you can shoot well loading your gun differently, and only cleaning it after firing 50 shots, MORE POWER TO YOU. :surrender: But, I don't think a Moderator should be telling people here that they should all be loading and cleaning their guns the same way you can. I would have to use a very much undersized ball, and a thicker patch to get away with the kind of cleaning practice you are using in your gun. And, even then, I don't know how accurate the loads would fire.

When you get the bore cleared of whatever the situation is, there is something that you should do on your range rod...and that is to make a "Temporary Witness Mark" on the rod flush with the muzzle.

That way you'll always know the bore's condition at a glance...to do it, simply load the particular load that you're going to use that day, and while the range rod is still sitting on top of the load, place a wrap of electrician's tape around the rod flush with the muzzle.

I avoid using permanent witness marks like scribe lines, notches in wood, permanent marker pens, etc, because I use a variety of different loads depending on my purposes...ie: a 50grn plinking load will stop the rod at a different place than a 90grn hunting load and so on.

Once you establish a witness mark for the day's shooting, and you ever have the situation you're explaining to us here, simply sliding the rod down bore will tell you if you have the correct load of powder, patch, and ball...and your diagnosis can then turn to things like powder being contaminated, or the fire channel is blocked, etc.

Conversely, if the rod drops too far, you might conclude that it does not have a powder charge...of if it doesn't drop far enough you might conclude you have a double powder or a double ball load, etc...you get the idea.

Temporary Witness Marks...best thing since sliced bread.

I agree Roundball. Them knife marks or cuts in a ram rod is an invitation for a rod to break there.

Zonie and Paul.Good load development will certainly keep the cruds from making the gun hard to load. I have seen where many times, the folks that clean between shots are actually sending contamination into the breech area, instead of bringing the cruds up and out. Swiss powder, for real black powder, is extremely clean burning and I haven't felt a need to clean between shots because of fouling. Swiss is especially great in the small bores. Many times a change in patch/ball combination may help your fouling problems Paul and sometimes your patch lube. Living in west central Ohio, we have a fair share of the same kind of weather usually seen at Friendship.

The only BP substitute I have used is Clean Shot. It is clean shooting stuff. It does degrade though in time. But, if that is all I could get, instead of real BP and I was not shooting flinters, I would have to use it.

My turn....... :surrender:

My apologies Paul. I forgot that I am a Moderator when I made my post.

For what it's worth, please notice that the original post mentioned that he was using Triple 7 and my remarks about shooting a large number of shots without wiping had that (and other Psudo-black powders) in mind.

Yes, when shooting real black powder as I often do my guns need to be wiped after 3-9 shots depending on the powder brand I'm using and the load.

I have found that running a moist patch down the barrel and letting it rest for 5-10 seconds does allow the fouling to soften so that when I do remove the moist patch it wipes virtually all of the fouling off on the way up without allowing any of it to fall down into the breech.
Because the wiping patch is just moist it also doesn't have enough water in it to cause water to run into the breech's powder chamber (if one exists).

I didn’t wipe the bore between shots until I read where some of you guys did, so I started and it caused problems I didn’t have before so I quit wiping. I only shoot subs in my cap locks because of the “inconvenience” in obtaining real black powder.

What does being a Moderator have to do with giving us an answer?

[but was having a conversation with a friend while loading it.]

I've found that this is a big "no-no", the moreso, the older I get.

ebiggs said:
I didn’t wipe the bore between shots until I read where some of you guys did, so I started and it caused problems I didn’t have before so I quit wiping. I only shoot subs in my cap locks because of the “inconvenience” in obtaining real black powder.

What does being a Moderator have to do with giving us an answer?

This happens to a lot of folks in our hobby! With a "really clean before you start shooting" rifle it happens when crud gets pushed into the flash channel, or with a rifle that's not properly cleaned to begin with (goo in the breech). Goo in the breech needs completely cleaned out in order to make the rifle do it's job!

One thing that MOST of the "Wipers" forget to say or add is to snap a couple caps after wiping. This clears and dries the flash channel. I now believe that the reason that they don't tell anyone to snap caps at the firing line is that they (the Wipers) are using Flinters. Most guys that use Flinters have come up with a procedure of wiping damp, not wet, and then follow this by a dry patch. Since the S.O.P. to using a Flinter is to pick & prime, they don't have to deal with the crud problem that is created by wiping in the first place :wink: .

My S.O.P. for cap locks: if ANYTHING goes down the barrel besides a powder load and a PRB, I snap a cap or two at the line. The wetter the patching, the more caps get snapped!

By following this plan, EVERYBODY that I've told to do this in the last two years HAS STOPPED HAVING FAILURE TO FIRE ISSUES whether they wipe between X number of shots or not! I wipe after 6-8 shots to keep a consistent amount of fouling in the bore for my rifle's best accuracy! Your mileage may vary, but when your groups start to open-up it's time for a spit patch! The entire club that I belong to has stopped having problems no matter what make of cap lock they're using! My plan was initiated during a mandatory 52 shot course of fire, where the rifle had to fire a minimum of 52 consecutive times in a single range session!

Brush the bore = Snap a cap
Wipe the bore with a damp patch = Snap a cap
Wipe the bore with a wet patch = Snap 2-3 caps!
Pour water and pull a bad load or a dryball = 3-4 caps! And that's after drying with patches!

One more thing: NEVER PUSH A DRY PATCH DOWN A FOULED BORE! You're just asking for trouble and you're most probably pushing crud into the flash channel. Disregard this if you're pulling a ball or a bad load and then range clean the rifle, as noted above (common sense).

If you want to get the best accuracy out of a cap lock, try it my way and see what happens. I think that you'll like the results!

Make some smoke!

Dave

The other cause of problems with crud being pushed down into chambers, is Cleaning Technique, and the wrong size cleaning jag. So often, the jag used is too Large in diameter for the task of cleaning, and doesn't allow the patch to slide down OVER the residue, so that it can pull it out as the rod is removed from the barrel.

Around here, Summers can created a lot of gooey residue, no matter how tight a patch/ball combination used, or even what powder is used. MY TECHNIQUE to clean the barrel is to push the damp- not WET- cleaning patch and jag down to about 1 inch from the bottom of the barrel, and STOP. I then pull the patch out.

There will typically be crud on the patch along the sides of the patch, and a little "bleed-in" of black crud to the center of the patch, where the flat face of the cleaning jag pushed. But, generally, I expect to find some White cleaning patch in the center where the flat face of the jag was pushing on the patch.

I throw this patch away, and dampen another patch, which now is run all the way down to the face of the breech plug. It absorbs all the crud, that Jim describes, IF you give it a few seconds to work. I don't own or shoot rifles with powder chambers and flash channels, save my DB shotgun, which has the flash channels. I use this method when cleaning that shotgun ALL the time. I have a permanent mark on my RR to tell me when the rod will touch the bottom of the barrel, so that I can stop the rod short of that. And, like Dave, I fire a couple of caps off to make sure the flash channel is clear of crud before putting the next load of powder in it.

I always follow my damp patches with a dry patch, or two, or three, on very hot, humid days( temps over 90 degrees, with similar relative humidity). Even when its below freezing, I follow the damp patch( alcohol) with a dry patch. Then I fire a cap or two to clear the flash channel. In the field, when bird hunting, I wipe the barrel with the damp patch, and then I follow with the dry patch. Then I blow down the barrels to make sure the flash channels are clear.

Any alcohol from my patches tends to drip down through the flash channel, cleaning it, and is easily blow out through the nipples. If there is any resistance at all over normal, I go ahead and fire a cap. The Birds know I am there, already. The sound made by firing a cap is far less than that of my gun going off.

I don't shoot the substitutes. So, I won't comment on them. I have watched other shooters fighting with them in their guns, and have some working knowledge about their use, but I have no experience with Triple 7, and from what I have read here, I don't want to waste my money doing so.

Much of what we do in shooting replica muzzle loaders( and originals) involves mastering techniques that you simply don't use with modern ammo, unless you also reload them. If a shooter doesn't want to learn proper technique to use in shooting, loading, and cleaning a MLer, I have to wonder if he won't be less frustrated by sticking to the guns that shoot the "pre-packaged" ammunition, using smokeless powder. Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear makes no sense at all. :hmm:

The whole purpose of forums like this to exist is to provide incites into techniques that work with these guns, that you simply are not going to find printed in any book. As we all understand, there is probably NO ONE SET OF techniques that work in all guns, over a wide variation of temperatures, and climates, during all seasons. This is a novel concept to suppository rifle shooters, and is the reason they get so frustrated trying to shoot MLERS.

Paul,

All well stated as usual! Although our technique may differ, the results are the same: the rifle goes BANG and that's the primary concern.

I've found that most shooters only have ONE size jag--the one they use for loading the projectile! The use of a specially turned-down undersized jag will work, and I have friends who use that system as well, and to great effect! Also, not everyone uses a jag for patching--some of us use patch worms--myself included--so we can get all of the way into the breech to wipe, thereby negating the use of a scraper to get the hard fouling deposit (if any) out of our rifles. A spit patch on a worm gets all of the way down there and I've never had to use a scraper :wink: on my Trade Rifle with it's hooked breech.

My system works for folks who own cap locks, and can start the shooting session with a thoroughly clean rifle. If they start with goo, they're in for trouble whether or not they wipe between every shot!

Enjoy the sunshine and make some smoke!

Dave

Dave K said:
Swiss powder, for real black powder, is extremely clean burning.....
Just finished off a pound of Schuetzen and I won't be using it again. I was amazed at how filthy it left my bore. It's been awhile since I have shot Swiss but I think I am just gonna stick to Goex from now on. As for the ball pulling....be sure the rod end has been pinned through the rod or you have a seriously good chance of pulling the rod from the end.

I am surprised you found Schuetzen dirty. I place it right under Swiss for cleanliness. But, if what you have works for you, go for it.

Latest posts

Back