• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball Pulling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roundball and I think alike about marking the range rod with tape, only I take it a little farther.

I place the rod in the empty barrel and wind on a couple thicknesses of black tape with the bottom edge flush with the muzzle. Then I load the standard load and wind on a couple of thicknesses of red tape. If I see red, I know I have a hot one!

White Fox

I'm going to borrow the red tape idea and use it at a Scout Day Shoot here in NJ. A 50 grain mark with red tape will be a good visual! Thanks for the idea! :thumbsup:

Dave
Eagle Scout Dad
ML Instructor

I can verify that the trick Necchi described does work, and work well. I also was shown a trick to fire 2-3 percussion caps to move the ball just enough to get powder into the chamber. It will be a light load and the ball may only go 20-30 feet but it works.

I had to the pull a ball from my .54 Renegade two weekends ago. It was charged with 70 grains FFg so I took it back to the house and neutralized charge with water introduced through nipple by soaking that end of the barrel in 6-8 inches of water and pouring said water down the barrel to help free up the fouling and ball. After a half hour or so it was easily extracted with screw ball puller attachment on a fiberglass rod.

After getting a ball stuck once and suffering so much with a ball puller, I got a co2 unloader and it works great!

Back