• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball Stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scartch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi-
Usually a lurker untill I bought my first bp rifle last week. Thompson Center .50 cal Renegade in fair shape.
I'm suspicious that there may be a stuck ball in the barrel.
When I send the ramrod home, it stops 3/4 inch before the primer hole. 1 1/4 inch befor the breech plug seam.
Called the couple of gun shops in the area and no one has a ball puller. May have to order one online.
I do have an air compressor in my shop and a search shows that some people have used this method. If someone would give me any suggestions or tips (how much pressure etc) it would be most appreciated.
I suspect that the ball has been stuck in there for some time. The bore seems quite good except for some surface rust.
Thanks
Tony

I have not done the air removal. But if you can get a hold of a range rod and ball puller attachment it's not hard. Do not use your ramrod. It may break then you got more junk stuck. Some others also claim grease inserted through a bored out nipple will work, again I have not tried this. The ball puler has always worked for me. Good luck.

Have a rubber tip on the nozzle, take out the nipple, point muzzle in a safe direction that you would be willing to fire a full charge at . . . apply air!

Most air guns put out more air the more your squeeze it, use all you got if necessary, wouldn't hurt to lube the bore prior either.

You can remove the nipple and pour in a few grains of BP. Then replace the nipple and shoot out the ball in a safe location. The grease method is to get a zirk (grease fitting) fitting with the same threads as your nipple, replace the nipple with the zirk fitting and then use a grease gun to force grease into the bore and force out the ball. Then all you have to do is to use some kind of solvent such as kerosene to clean out the grease. Lastly, you can buy a CO2 device that is designed for removing stuck balls. Most muzzleloading supply places have them for sale. Of course, you can use a ball remover on the end of your range rod to pull the ball but while I have pulled many stuck balls with one, I still prefer one of the other methods. The ball remover is nothing but a wood screw on the end of your range rod. You have to force it into the ball and then pull out the ball. If the ball has been stuck long, this is not the best method for removal. Air will work but the amount of pressure will depend on how tightly the ball is stuck and when the ball comes out, it will have enough velocity to do some damage to anything it hits. So, if you use air, CO2 or a little BP, be sure to do it in a safe location where the dislodged ball will not hit anything that you don't want damaged.

I would not recommend the little powder in the nipple trick, as you do not really know if there is already a charge of powder in there . . . how much, what kind . . . if it is loaded, you maybe in for a surprise . . . same with the screw ball puller . . . a gun is always loaded until you prove it otherwise.

This would not be the first gun bought that was loaded.

+1 :thumbsup: Lissen to this guy! There is a very good chance there's more than just a ball in there.

+2
Use air if possible. If the powder has been in there long, chances are its had some humidity, condensation, or the powder has sucked up the ball lube and the powder has turned to goo, dried up and just a big caked up mess like dried clay and air probably won't get around that or blow it out. Just recently went though the same thing. We could not blow the ball out, with our without the liner in! Using a large compressor with the PSI maxed! Pulled the flint liner out and had to soak it in the tub for an hour to loosen it. Poured it out and then used a ball puller, I'm sure air would have worked once I finally got the caked up powder removed.

This was in a warm house for about a year and a half, really surprised me it did that..... oops! :redface:

Anybody know how deep the patent breech is on that Thompson Center? 50 cal about 1/2 inch. Powder might be another 1/2 inch. May not be loaded. Have you tried blowing air through the nipple to see if it goes through? Just a thought.

H.Hale

It could also be a stuck conical or sabot, try to use air first. You might be able to send the barrel to T.C. and get them to remove whatever may be stuck it there.

I would never try the powder under the nipple trick with a rifle I bought second hand. You never know what it is loaded with. It could be loaded with smokeless powder or who knows what.
Try the air first and be mindful of the muzzle. A stuck ball leaves the barrel at a 120lbs. per sq. inch with a good compressor shot! :shocked2:
I watched a guy put one through his garage window one night when he clamped it in his vice and shot the air to it.

Start with pulling the nipple and using a fine steel wire to explore and clean the vent way. If you get powder out you have a clue. If its hard packed (or gooey) you have another. Mine was hard packed and blocked in the nipple and drum, and I didn't find out until I tried to fire the first shot. Went home with powder and ball loaded and unfired, made up a wire pick and shot it the next day.

Wow, thanks for your quick replies and good advice.
In the AM I'll try poking around in the primer hole and see if anything surfaces. Next step I'll crank up the compressor and try to blow it out. (aimed at something soft) Don't have a soft tip for the nozzle but I think some electrical tape wrapped around the end might work.
Probably next would be the grease gun.
Last resort is probably the ball puller.
I'll report back and let you know how things transpire.
Thanks again
Tony

If you have a range rod sometimes your local hardware store will have a (can't think what you call it) 1/2 half is a wood screw and the other 1/2 is a bolt. See if they have one with the same thread size as your ramrod! Use a plastic washer a little smaller than your bore to center the screw end when you start it into the lead! You might want to pour a little oil down the bore and let it soak for a bit before pulling.

I would pour some patch lube down the barrel and let it soak through the patch, if it has one around the ball. Coal oil or mineral oil would do to soak the patch and lube the barrel.

If the barrel has a vent hole, put a light up against it and look to see if the light shows through. If you can't see light, then you do have an obstruction.

Put the muzzle down into a plastic barrel filled with some rags and blow the ball out. It is easier on your windows and walls that way :idunno:

THe larger the hole in the air fitting you blow it out with, the easier it will blow it out. I have blown out a couple dozen of them over the years for other people & found a rubber tip with a 3/16 hole in it works well. Too small of hole &08 don't get enough instant pressure.

Also, as suggested, take a swab & oil the barrel well & that will help it blow out.

Take it outside & blow it into soft dirt if ya can, in a safe direction. Sometimes they just plop out & sometimes they Really... come out !

Never Never Ever... shoot one out, Not KNOWING what someone put in there. If someone dipshi$ put 100 grains of Bullseye in there, you have a pipebomb...... and you may not survive the results.... :shake:

The grease gun works too, but you have to get a fitting that is the same as the taped hole. Last one I did that way I had to braze up a fitting. Pushed the ball out but was messy, but easily pushed it out. Then I took the barrel out & put it vertically in a vice, breech sitting down in a cut open used milk carton, started a Patch & Jag on a brass Range Rod in the bore, hung a 10# weight on the RR & came back an hour later & all the grease was out of the barrel.

The Air Hose way is much easier & less messy, if it works for you. That seal at the tip is crucial for it to push it out. I use 150# of air & one blast usually does it.

Keith Lisle

Glad I checked in here before Proceeding.
Thanks for the great info gentlemen.
I don't have a range rod and theres nothing in the possibles bag that came with the sale that would help. I may be able to braze a wood screw to a steel rod if it comes to that.
It was such a great opportunity to finally have a bp rifle that I would have bought even if I had to replace the barrel.
Going to soak that barrel while I finish up my morning chores.
Will report back.
Tony

Just remember if it could maybe possibly have powder in it . . . be careful where it is pointed . . . if you do end up trying the screw type puller, FIRST pull the nipple, and fill it with oil to or even soak with water to kill the powder.

I'll add support to that. You don't know what is down there. If it is modern smokeless powder you could have a serious incident. :shocked2:
Pulling or the grease gun methods will work with work.
Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

Back