• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball Stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reporting-
What an anticlimax.
Poked around with a bent paper clip and came out with some grey powder.
Took the Rifle apart and put the barrel pointed down in a padded vise. Poured some Mousemilk in the barrel and gave it a good swabbing followed by a gun oil swabbing. Left it till after breakfast.
Stuck a large plastic garbage pail under the barrel with a wadded old shower curtain in the bottom.
Hooked up the compressor, affixed eye protection and let fly.....phht....ssssss.
Thats it! No ball, no nothin, except some grey powdery stuff caught in the shower curtain.
Ran some alchohol swabs down the barrel and took a look.
If I shine a light in the primer hole, I can see it when I look down the barrel. Drop the LED down the barrel and I can see the light in the primer hole in a darkened room. measuring with a bore cleaning rod and the end pretty much lines up with the bottom of the primer hole.
Pretty certain the barrel is clear. Don't have a clue what the obstruction was.
You all have my thanks and appreciation for coming to my assistance. This is certainly a great community.
Right now the barrel is standing upright in the vise, filled to the brim with Evapo-Rust. I'll leave it for about two or three hours then take a look and see what kind of shape the bore is in.
Tony

After some thought, I agree with those who disagreed with my idea of putting a small bit of BP behind the nipple and shooting out the ball. A fact I hadn't considered was that you did not know who had previously loaded the gun nor what they may have put in it. Under these conditions, attempting to shoot out the ball was a bad idea. I have shot out a stuck ball many times but I always knew what powder charge was behind the ball. Those who were opposed to my idea of shooting out the ball were right in saying the person who had previously loaded the rifle could have been stupid enough to have used smokeless powder.

BTW, the name of the bolt that has machine threads on one end and wood threads on the other is a "hanger bolt". If you ever choose to use this method, be sure your range rod has a strongly attached handle. Then after screwing the ball remover tightly into the ball, hang the range rod handle in the fork of a tree and pull back on the gun. This is much safer than having someone holding the rod as you pull back on the gun. However remote the possibility of the gun discharging while you are trying to pull the ball, if someone is in front of the bore if it did discharge, the results can be devistating.

"Hanger bolt" Got it.
Thanks for squaring that away for me. I'll be sure to get one for the future.
Just checked on the barrel. Looking pretty good. Dumped the rust remover and added another barrel full to soak over night.
I won't do a complete refinishing till I see how she shoots. I am enjoying the process though.
Cheers!
Tony

Rifleman1776 said:
Tony, I am very glad you got it cleared. The "gray powder" is scary. Very likely a modern smokeless.
Once cleaned an assembled enjoy shooting. With BLACK POWDER . :thumbsup:

I'd wager that it was a Pyrodex Pellet that was stuck in there.

It could have been anything from smokeless powder to clay.

More than one kid has 'loaded dads gun' with whatever was available including marbles, dirt, clay...you name it.

I'm glad to hear that whatever it was is now gone.

Good Shooting. :)

Billnpatti said:
After some thought, I agree with those who disagreed with my idea.......

Bill,

You have my respect sir.

It is never easy to "re-post" and admit an error. My hat is off to you sir !!

Chris in Idaho

About 2 weeks ago I pulled a ball from a loaded T/C Hawken. The patent breech extends about 5/8 inch into the barrel proper so a ramrod will never "bottom out" at the nipple.

Dumped the rust remover this morning and rinsed with water. Swabbed dry and proceeded cleaning with Hoppes No.9 and a bronze brush.
Examination shows a bore as clean and bright as the day it was born. A few minor pin holes here and there but nothing to write home about.
Don't know much about the history of this rifle but I'm sure it sat in neglect after the original owner passed a few years ago.
SN stamped on the barrel is 226036.
There is some surface rust on the edges of the barrel and wear where you would expect it if used in the field for hunting. The inside of the lock and trigger assembly is clean.
I feel fortunate to have been able to obtain this rifle and intend to bring it back to prestine condition.
Appreciate all of you coming to the aid of this tenderfoot. :hatsoff:
Tony

Tony

A might help suggestion after seeing lots of attempts on the range , to get out stuck balls I had a bit of a thinkand came to the conclosion that driving a screw into an already stuck ball would perhaps wedge the ball even tighter so I made a couple of gizmos that fitted on to the end of my range rod one was a drill that was the same diameter as the core of the self tapping screw I also made a fitting for my rod plus a series of nylon bushes to fit various caliber barrels .. The bushes made sure that the drill was centered on the ball the drill got the screw into the ball with the minimum of expansion and with a good slurp of hoppes down the barrel stuck balls give up and come out with little effort .. A handy couple of thingys to have in your kit :grin:

If you need a grease nipple let me know. I bought a bunch of them. If anyone needs a grease nipple let me know.

Back