• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol as a rust proofer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renovato

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Jim, I LOVE Ballistol and use it literally for everything! However, it's really not the best of rust proofers. I have never had any rust issues using it, but I live in a dry climate. I've heard of rust problems from others who live in wetter climates.

The best rust proofer that I know of is CorrosionX. It's a very good lubricant too. That stuff just totally prevents rust period. I had a misfortune involving a leak that rusted up several of my project guns that were sitting disassembled. One gun looked as good as new. It was the only gun in the pile that had been wiped down with CorrosionX.

Hi there, I've been BP shooting for many years and have used Ballistol for quite a few of them. But as you have pointed out, it lacks as a rust preventer. My favorate is CRC "Long Life" in a sprey can. Happy shooting my friend :)

I like using the Balistrol on the outside of the gun, but have used a spray product called Gun Sav'r Black Powder Firearms Protector (manufactured by Chem-Pak)for use down the barrel and on the lock. It seems to do an excellent job, particularly if the gun is put into storage for a while.

I use a 7:1 mix of water and balistol for range cleanup and patch lube. When I get home I give my guns a bath and protect them with a good gun oil.

I haven't used it long enough to be able to tell about rust prevention, but Ballistol is a very good rust remover. I used it on a vise clamp that had surface rust on it due to being in storage room for about eight months. Ballistol did a good job removing the rust.

greetings,

balistol is pretty good stuff, howsomever, remember it is a rust remover. used it on some 1st gen colts and winchesters. the case on the colts went from in the 90%+ range to about 50%
the case on the wins disappeared and the blueing dropped about 50%.

balistol doesn't seem to affect newer models. it didn't seem to anything to 2nd and 3rd gen colts.

maybe it was the old type steel and the rust bluing.

so.... be carefull using balistol on 1st gen guns. my depreciation was between 25,000 and $30,000. :(

..ttfn..grampa..

Icy said:
Any comments on this and this ? Looks like Ballistol is THE ONE.

:hatsoff: Icy

I use Ballistol mixed approx. 1 part to 5 parts water for cleaning. After drying the bore, straight Ballistol (in the aerosol can) for exterior metal, lock, and bore.

My flintlock had been put up since last Nov. and I went to the range yesterday. Ran a dry patch down the bore prior to loading. It came out PERFECTLY clean - not a TRACE of rust. Love Ballistol!! :thumbsup:

A quick PS: I clean my fullstock flinters using Birddog6's method with a flush kit. And when I put it away its squeeky clean....still, I run a quick Ballstol patch down the bore after 3 to 5 days from the cleaning "just to be sure".

Latest posts

Back