• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel blueing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to build a rifle kit and I need to blue the barrel. is it best to rust blue or cold blue the barrel and where is a good sorce of how to do info. Thanks

Cold blues are basically metal stains, and don't wear very well; I think they are a waste of time. Rust bluing is not hard, but does consume some time. I use Laurel Mountain Forge Browning solution--they have directions to use the solution to rust blue as well as brown barrels. Follow their directions to the letter. If you don't want to spend money on a tank to boil the barrel in, check youtube on how to steam barrels. It works just as well and doesn't cost much for the setup. ( boiling/steaming converts the red rust to black rust, if you didn't know.)

Back