• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am an idiot. Frustrated to the point of wanting to quit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your not using the right ball puller.

Static electricity does not set off black powder.
I don't wish to derail the subject of this thread, but my ball puller is this one https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/839/1 with the collar.

I've often cleared my unfired charge at the end of the day using my air compressor. I pull the vent liner, shake\tap the powder out through the vent liner hole, then blow compressed air into the barrel while "aiming" the muzzle inside a garbage can.

I've never had an incident doing this, but I've read where air compressors should not be used to clear unfired charges. I have no other basis of the reasons why except the readings of those who strongly suggest not to do this. So, if it's not static that sets off the charge, then what would it be?

Anyway, perhaps this will help the OP with his issues.

Sounds as if you have shooting friends, Give the gun to one you think might get the job done. Agree that he can either then buy the gun for one half of value or sell it back to you for that same price. No more frustration and that is worth the loss. Polecat

I know what I did was stupid. I just got so frustrated and sick and tired of never being able to get things to work for me. I’ve tried 3 different powders. Every time I mess with this stupid gun I work my butt off and maybe get it to shoot a handful of times and it goes back to flash and nothing. I can never get the stupid bullet puller to bite into the ball. In desperation the only way I’ve been able to get it unloaded in the past has been to remove the touch hole plug and tediously push as much powder in the hole as I can fit, then try it it again. Well, this time I wallered the touchhole out and even after I tried cleaning up the slot with very small file, I still couldn’t get it to turn. I even strapped the gun down in a lock down rest and tried to get the powder to ignite with a propane pen torch to the point where I quit bc I was afraid of doing irreparable damage to the finish.

Well I decided that touchhole had to come out and my stupid a$$ got to here and I’m just so frustrated I’m ready to just throw this -deleted- gun in a sinkhole. I really enjoy rendezvous and club shoots or I would if I could ever get my rifle to go off more than 5 times.

I realize how stupid I look here. I swear I’m not that clueless. I literally work with my hands and tools every day. Grew up farming and with modern firearms and have always been a born tinkerer. This type of thing is usually right in my wheel house, but I just got frustrated and rage took over.

I’m going to try this one more time. As embarrassing as this is I am coming to the forum. I’m going to try whatever y’all tell me to do, if I can get it to work, then I’ll stick with it. If not, I’m throwing the damn rifle in a sinkhole.
Bring it to my workshop and I will look at it and see if I can help you. We can take it out back of the shop and see if I can figure out what is going on

Just a few thoughts:

---When you go to pull a ball with a ball puller, you have to get the puller well into the bullet. It usually takes me two or three tries while having the barrel clamped on a bench and me pushing like nuts and turning the ball puller.

---That barrel appears to be T\C. I'm judging that based upon the hook breach size, and the wedge key.

---The flash hole tap looks like it was done with an Ice pick and hammer. I'd question if it actually seals when the gun is fired. That can be repaired by drilling it out (size escapes me right now) putting a big plug in it, then drill and tap the plug for the new liner.

---If you choose to keep the existing vent liner check to see if the flash hole is drilled out to 1/16".

---For stuck balls, I've read where shooters use a CO2 discharge kit. It's not recommended to use an air compressor as you are "compressing" more oxygen into the barrel and should you have a static charge......BOOM!!. If you choose to do that point the barrel in a safe direction.....like into a concrete or block wall. That being said concrete or block walls will ricochet .....be very cautious of this.
aw come on! you haven't lived until you blow a dryball etc, out with a compressor smack into the fender of the wife's coupe! adds panache to the boring lines of Detroit's finest.
everyone above has covered how to clean the thing so won't try to add to that. when you have the liner repaired and the bore etc all cleaned, try leaving the vent pick inserted as far into the chamber as you can before pouring your BLACK POWDER down the bore. I have one rifle that won't fire any other way. remember, one only has to be 10% smarter than what you are working with. I have no doubt you will defeat the beast.

Put the gun away.
Do something else for a while.
Clear your mind and cool down.
Tomorrow, you will be in a much better head-space to work on it.
Guaranteed.
Absolutely. Sometimes you just gotta walk away for a day or two. And that applies to everything in life. Wise words you said there.

It may be your socks OR
Clean Clean Clean is the key to a functioning muzzle loader
Sharp flint
Frizzen /Flint wiped off & free of oil as well as the pan
Touch hole insert a wire a paper clip works to keep it open while loading

A good way to pull a ball is to make up a 1/8" drill on a jag. This will require the use of a drill motor . Drill a hole inn the jag insert drill and quick solder in. The drill will then be used to predrill a hole in the ball before screwing the puller into the ball.

Cause when you screw into the ball the ball expands. Predrill not as much expansion. Like predrill wood to prevent a crack.

Follow me for more useful tips and harassment-

Next topic my recipe for shakushaku
That's a good tip on pre-drilling. I've only dry balled twice but that would have been quite helpful.

By the way, I'm sure you're not an idiot. These things happen sometimes. You mentioned growing up with modern guns. Is this your first foray into muzzleloading? If so, just take your time and learn. Alot of folks start with a percussion rifle and learn the basics. Then move into flintlocks after they've become proficient at the ins and outs like proper cleaning and shooting them. I started thirty years ago with a caplock and that's all I shot for a few years. Not because I wanted to, but because perc guns were all that was available in my area. Pre-internet... Then, once I got into flint guns, I had already learned the basics and was absolutely hooked on BP guns. One type isn't better than the other but, for a BP newbie, I think percussion guns are a bit easier to master. Then flint guns are a step up from there. Plenty of inexpensive caplocks around for sale so picking up one of those to play with while you work out your flintlock could be an option. Besides you can't have too many guns.

I think separating this issue into several categories in your mind while you work through It is important.
The first and most obvious is getting the touch hole out. Hopefully you have that done already. There are multiple ways to fix that so no harm done.
The second and more pressing issue is why all the ignition problems. I would definitely separate that into several categories. The channel from the pan to the actual powder charge can have several variations of design. If it has a drilled passage that is not straight access to the base of the charge, that will dictate a more detailed cleaning procedure which will alleviate your problems. I believe Thompson Center has the most complicated one if I am correct. My Flint lock has a straight drilled hole to the base of the charge and works extremely well.
A well-designed lock that has been tuned plus good sharp flint with the right kind of powder properly stored should alleviate the rest of your problems.
Personally I have had great luck with black powder, far better than anything else.
I hope you are encouraged to stick it out. I love my Flintlock very much and I believe when you are done, you will too.
A properly tuned front lock is far cheaper to shoot them percussion caps. The price of caps really put a bite into it. I can knap the edge of my Flint and get a lot of shots out of one flint.
Please let us know what you find out as we all love to learn

I’ve had to remove a ball from my SMR a couple of times. Don’t need a ball puller. Just make sure the vent hole is cleaned out as best you can with a pick. Make sure the pan is dry. Drop several grains of 4f in the pan, lean gun over to put the powder next to the vent hole, close frizzen, and lightly tap the side opposite the lock to shake the powder into the vent hole. Repeat until no more powder will go in (usually two to four repetitions). Don’t point the muzzle too steeply down.

Touch it off in a safe direction. A truly dry ball will “poot” out and travel 15-20 feet at most. Better to aim into dry leaves to verify that you get movement, and don’t aim too steeply down, but be ready and aware if there is an “oily” charge in there that will light off.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have some great offers to help. Take advantage and let a set of new eyes and hands haveca go at it.

First I guessing you have removed any remaining powder and ball.
From the pics you need to probably drill out and install a different liner. You know that.
I would clean and clean. You know that. Then with some bright light do your best to see what the barrel looks like.
You’re doing that.
As offered take it to some friends and see where you are.

It will get to working well

I know what I did was stupid. I just got so frustrated and sick and tired of never being able to get things to work for me. I’ve tried 3 different powders. Every time I mess with this stupid gun I work my butt off and maybe get it to shoot a handful of times and it goes back to flash and nothing. I can never get the stupid bullet puller to bite into the ball. In desperation the only way I’ve been able to get it unloaded in the past has been to remove the touch hole plug and tediously push as much powder in the hole as I can fit, then try it it again. Well, this time I wallered the touchhole out and even after I tried cleaning up the slot with very small file, I still couldn’t get it to turn. I even strapped the gun down in a lock down rest and tried to get the powder to ignite with a propane pen torch to the point where I quit bc I was afraid of doing irreparable damage to the finish.

Well I decided that touchhole had to come out and my stupid a$$ got to here and I’m just so frustrated I’m ready to just throw this -deleted- gun in a sinkhole. I really enjoy rendezvous and club shoots or I would if I could ever get my rifle to go off more than 5 times.

I realize how stupid I look here. I swear I’m not that clueless. I literally work with my hands and tools every day. Grew up farming and with modern firearms and have always been a born tinkerer. This type of thing is usually right in my wheel house, but I just got frustrated and rage took over.

I’m going to try this one more time. As embarrassing as this is I am coming to the forum. I’m going to try whatever y’all tell me to do, if I can get it to work, then I’ll stick with it. If not, I’m throwing the damn rifle in a sinkhole.
BACK AWAY for a while, you are no idiot, there are people on here that knows and can help. This is a learning job about flintlocks.You will get it working and laugh at it. keep keeping on BUD.

Latest posts

Back