• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel break in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When trying to remove minor tool marks and burrs from a new barrel would it be better to shoot patched round balls or pure lead conicals? I want to clean up a new barrel with out any lapping. Thanks
Rob

mrfishnhunt-I am in the process of shooting in a Pedesoli Tryon(54),I use the patched round ball.I believe the patches actually smooth the barrel,but I could not prove this If my life depended on it.I also do not believe in getting the barrell hot for at least the first 50 shots.I shoot 5 shots(60 grns) let the barrell cool.Then do it again, let cool.I am by no means an expert but this has worked for me,there are others here that have way more experience than I.I hoped that I have helped..Respectfully montanadan

I was thinking that it would lead up with the conicals. I figured that it would actually slow down the process by "slicking" the barrell. Thanks

mrfishnhunt

Here is a link to break-in information from Ernie Stallman of Badger Barrels. According to him, it's important to not let the barrel heat up during the break-in until the memory is set. Otherwise the barrel will "walk" as it heats up and the POA will change.

Badger Barrels

Scroll halfway down the page to get to the break-in information.

Jimbo

Thanks for the link. I just want to do everything right and make this thing shoot the best that I can.

After reading the Badger link, it is obvious Badger is talking about breaking in the barrel on modern high power rifles.

IMO, he has a point if talking only about these guns as they can generate a tremendous amount of heat if you rapidly crank 5 or 6 shots thru them. Remember, these guns usually have pressures in the 40,000-65,000 PSI range.

I don't think this really applies to muzzleloading rifles as the 20-50 seconds one usually takes to reload allows the barrel to cool.
The pressures in a muzzleloader seldom approach 20,000 PSI so the heat generated is much less too.

Maybe I'm slow during reloading, but even in Arizona temperatures I can't think of a time shooting my rifles has heated the barrel enough to even be concerned with.

I thought that is what the article was about Zonie. I think that I will just shoot 100-200 PRB and just let nature take its course on the break in. Thanks for the help guys.
Rob

Latest posts

Back