• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel & breech plug tang inletting issue..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken Dan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Have a small issue. Trying to inlett my barrel and tang without much success.
Fullstock maple stock,green mountain 58 cal barrel with hook and breech plug tang from TOTW (plug-LRF-16-3) that in it self is hard as the breech plug is on the barrel already and the underlug staples too, so it will not lie flat in the barrel channel.

Should I remove the underlug staples (and if so can they go on again with ease?)or remove the breech plug?

Personally, I would do neither. But then again, I have no idea what you level of experience might be, so "your mileage may vary" as the saying goes...

It is my understanding that others who have inletted the 2-piece hook breeches solder/epoxy/set-screw the 2 pieces together so they can be inlet as one, then disconnect the pieces after inletting.

Position the back end of the breech inlet where it needs to be, then start inletting the barrel downwards. As a hook-breech, you should be able to turn the barrel upside down to start the downward inletting, then turn it right-side-up to inlet the staples (and tang).

Proceed at your own risk.

Are the sights on too? If not, flip the barrel over and inlet it upsidedown until it fits right, then flip it over and do the lugs.

I always inlet my barrels with the breech plug out and then reinstall it to do the tang. Since your tang is seperate you shouldn't have to worry about it though.

Enjoy, J.D.

Thanks all I will try the upside down way. My sights are not on yet so it will work.I am a beginner and worry about messing up the stock as it is not cheap.Oh well got to learn sometime....

I'll post a pic once done.

Latest posts

Back