• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Length Question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erzulis boat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a standard method to indicate barrel length?
A Green Mountain barrel blank in 36", is 36 inches long, but has .625" of rifled bore eliminated by the breechplug threads. So is it really a 36" barrel, or is it actually 35.375"?
Does the TC Hawken (for example) have 28" of rifled bore, or is it 28" long including the breechplug assembly?
Am I wasting my time stating barrel length by useable bore, or is it a given?

I believe most barrels lengths are the total length except the tang of the breech plug. So the bore of a 36" barrel with a 5/8" deep breech plug will measure 35 3/8".
Hope this helps.

Regards, Dave

".I believe most barrels lengths are the total length except the tang of the breech plug..."

I agree. IMO the length of the barrel is what is measured, not the depth of the bore.

I think the same rule applies to modern arms. The barrel length is the length of the barrel from muzzle to the reciever. The fact that the cartridge takes up 2 1/2 inchs of bore length is not considered.
:) :)

The official way I measure barrel lengths for Evidence/impounds is to run a cleaning rod down the barrel and mark where it stops. That's usually to the bolt face etc. Then remove it and measure that. That's the way were being taught by the Crime lab anyways.

When I order a 42" barrel I expect to be able to put a tape measure on the muzzle and pull it down to the back of the breech and have it measure 42" at that point.

Erzulis boat said:
Does the TC Hawken (for example) have 28" of rifled bore, or is it 28" long including the breechplug assembly?

The stated length of a TC Hawken barrel is the barrel alone...ie: their standard barrel is listed at 28"...but measuring it with the breech plug installed it's 29-ish

Then basically no standard exists for muzzleloaders?
The standard for modern centerfire arms is end of muzzle to bolt face when at the foremost position.
That settles it, I will continue to use the term "useable bore".
Thanks -

Yes, a standard does exist. A ML barrel is measured from the back of the breech to the front of the muzzle. That's it, that's the way it's always been. It makes no difference what so ever how far the threaded portion of the breech plug screws into the barrel.
Modern bolt guns are measured from the muzzle to where the barrel screws into the reciever.

I am not certain one way or another on muzzleloading rifles how they are measured, but I am very possitive that on modern firearms according to the BATFE that the length of the barrel is measured from the muzzle to the front of the bolt face and not where it contacts the receiver. As far as what the manufacturer states it may be done differently, but the legal method is as stated. swamp_thing

Yep, modern is to the bolt face on a closed action. That's what I have to testify to in court when presenting firearms.

gmww said:
Yep, modern is to the bolt face on a closed action. That's what I have to testify to in court when presenting firearms.
So, If I have a barrel that's seperate from it's reciever there's no way to measrure what the length of that barrel is then..... :confused:
For instance if I have a muaser K98 barrel for sale and the guy asks me how long it is I have to tell him that I don't know since it doesn't have a bolt face I can measure from?

Yes, to comply with the modern standard, if you just measured the barrel to length independently, the measurement would not be accurate.
If you were to insert a cartridge case, then measure from muzzle to end of the case, then that is the correct figure. (This replicates the bolt face position)
If it has a muzzlebrake or flash suppressor that can be removed, then you do not count the length of the unit, but if it is "permanently" attached (threaded AND soldered or pinned etc.) then you include it in the length measurement.
This is the established method for ATFE and forensics.

Erzulis boat said:
Yes, to comply with the modern standard, if you just measured the barrel to length independently, the measurement would not be accurate.
If you were to insert a cartridge case, then measure from muzzle to end of the case, then that is the correct figure. (This replicates the bolt face position)
If it has a muzzlebrake or flash suppressor that can be removed, then you do not count the length of the unit, but if it is "permanently" attached (threaded AND soldered or pinned etc.) then you include it in the length measurement.
This is the established method for ATFE and forensics.

well, don't that beat all! I've sold alot of modern guns in my day and when asked how long the barrel is I've always measured fron the muzzle to where it screws into the reciever. Everybody immmediatly knew what I was talking about with no confusion or questions asked. :haha:
Collectors and the government must have different ideas on how to meassure barrels. :hmm:

Back