• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabofdoom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to get a .54 barrel for my TC Hawken. Narrowed down my choices to a TC Renegade/ Hawken Barrel or a GM Long Hunter barrel

I can find Renegade Barrels on Ebay and the gun auction sites pretty regular, but I havn't been able to track down a GM Barrel at all.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I shoot mostly conicals so a faster twist is nesseciry.

That said, The slightly slower twist of the TC barrel 1:48 would allow me to throw RB to plink with. Also, is the faster twist of a GM barrel (1:28) worth the cost (75.00-125.00 for a TC compared to 212.00 and up for a GB)

TIA

COD

If you have a 45 or 50 TC Hawken, a Renegade or Hawken 54 barrel won't fit. The 45 and 50 barrels are 15/16" across the flats and the 54 barrel is 1" across. The only option you have is a GM 15/16" 54 barrel.

Check out Green Mountains web page. They have some 1/28 twist stainless drop in barrels for sale right now. I am not sure if they are flint or percussion barrels but they are a special sale item which is not listed in their regular inventory. They are 15/16 and 50 caliber. They were suppossed to be making some drop-in flint barrels in 15/16 .54 roundball twist this summer but I don't see them listed as of yet. If you want a fast twist GM drop-in I would grab one of these as fast as you can; very unlikely you will get another chance. I think these were lost inventory items that won't be available again.

I have 2 of the GM barrels in 1/28 twist; one is 24" and the other is 28" long. They are accurate with anything I can shove down the barrel. I want a 15/16 .54 1/70 twist drop-in for my TC PA Hunter if they ever get around to making them. They claim they will this summer.

Check with Tip Curtis at Frontier Gunshop
(615-654-4445). I think he has slow twist and fast twist GM barrels in stock. He should be getting back from Friendship shortly.
Roger Sells

hogan said:
Check with Tip Curtis at Frontier Gunshop
(615-654-4445). I think he has slow twist and fast twist GM barrels in stock. He should be getting back from Friendship shortly.
Roger Sells

Thanks, I'll give Tip a call later thids week.

If I cant line up a GMB, I was wondering...I see that the 15/16 GMB is listed to fit Lyman rifles w/ the same channel dim's. Would a Lyman barrel w/ a fast twist rate (1:32) fit , or be made to fit w/ mininal work?

COD

I am not sure what the design differences are between the two rifles. I haven't looked at either of them since the 70's when I started building rifles. I am sure Tip can answer the question as well. Sorry, I couldn't be of help.
Roger Sells

Latest posts

Back