• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrels and likesideness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisc406

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a thompson center renegade 50 caliber and am looking at a barrel on ebay that is .54. the only thing is though mine is a left handed rifle but the barrel is right handed will that matter?

Yes, it will matter. The nipple (or touch hole) is on the wrong side. I on the other hand have the same gun but it is not a leftie...

Cowpoke and Pork chop, I know nothing about T/C guns so bear with me....couldn't he drill and tap the new barrel on the left hand side and install a new drum? Then plug the right side with a snug fitting plug, file flush and re-brown?

What does he do with the existing holes on the Right Side?

I think if he wanted to use a GM replacement barrel, he would have to ask the company NOT to drill it for a RH drum or vent. If they send a RH barrel, he will have to cut it off at the breech, and rethread the breech for a breechplug. If the barrel is already cut on the bottom flats for barrel keys, the keys will have to be relocated also. And, if using an existing T/C stock, the underrib will also have to be cut and shortened to allow the forestock to fit behind the underrib.

Paul, since his rifle is a lefty, the only hole in the right hand barrel should be for the right hand drum, no? Remove that drum, install it on the left hand side and plug the hole left after the transfer. Or am I missing something else? As I said, I know NOTHING about T/C guns and their breech systems. Thanks for the indulgence...Emery

T/C Rifles have a Hawken Type Snail cast in the breachplug. The only way he can make that barrel Lefthanded is to remove the breachplug and install a lefthanded one.

Robert

Id try Greenmountain and see what they have in a IBS.I havnt seen a lefthanded after market snail cast breechplug offerd before,the only ones ive seen where righthanded.Make sure of your barrel size 15/16 or 1 inch.

Or maybe move the sights to the bottom side of the barrel then turn it over and shoot it like a under hammer :hmm: :youcrazy: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: All jokes aside I would continue to look until I found a left handed barrel :v

travisc406 said:
I have a thompson center renegade 50 caliber and am looking at a barrel on ebay that is .54. the only thing is though mine is a left handed rifle but the barrel is right handed will that matter?

Not sure how the nipple placement on TC's 'snail' would match the nipple placement on a drum configuration with respect to alignment of the existing hammer.

It would be worth a call to T/C Customer Service and/or T/C's Fox Ridge store in NH...because the Renegade is the one and only ML that T/C did make in a left handed version for a time...they might still have an old left hand barrel, or at least a left over left handed breech plug in a dusty old parts bin that you could pay to have them swap for you.

Back