• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrels, Twist, etc.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet the Eye-talian's 1-48 tooling wore out and some schmuk said "Hey why not use the same 1-60 like the...". Surely they didn't calculate the lessened wear from lesser twist. They's a formula "out there" somewhere that calc's twist for grain wt., velocity etc. Modern barrels err on the side of tighter twist, just don't twist so tignt as to overstabilize the pro-jec-tile. I ain't sure what overstabilized is and can remember when I could shoot not quite as well as you younger fellows? I'm very impressed!! :hatsoff:

Jim S. Quote: "I have a two band Euroarms Enfield, 58 cal.that, although advertised as a 1:48 inch twist, measured at a 1:60 inch twist when I got the rifle. As I did not intend to shoot round balls out of this civil war replica, I asked Euroarms about the discrepancy. Euroarms had no answer. I am disappointed that this rifle was not as specified in the Euroarms advertisement that touts a championship with an Enfield two band with a 1:48 rifling twist. "

I don't have an explanation for the 1:60 twist but I thought I would mention that the Parker-Hale reproductions of the three Enfields have the following twists:
Artillery Carbine 1:48
2 band Rifle 1:48
3 band Rifled Musket 1:72
The Parker-Hale Enfields are supposed to be the most historically accurate reproductions made.

The 3 band Enfield was made for shooting the same Minie' slugs as the 2 band rifle even though it has a 1:72 twist. Your accuracy problem with any Minie' is not unique. I suggest that you start a new post about your problems.

Back