• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Be advised....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was in Walmart this morning..... they are just putting out the muzzleloading display. Only a few products were on the shelf and I saw the space for the much coveted CCI number 11 percussion caps... But it was still empty.

I finally found an employee who knew how to use the app on their phone to look up the UPC to check stock. They said it showed 10 of them in the back and I asked politely if they could go and get them and they did.

They are still only $5 and some change per package. And no I was not "that guy" that felt the need to buy every single last one of them. I got what I needed and left some.

So just a heads up, even if you do not see them, find an employee who can check stock for you.

I believe that I have read somewhere before that each Walmart only gets a thousand of them for the year.

Don’t waste effort with the regular employees, talk to the manager or assistant manager. most floor workers don’t have the time to look or just don’t want to, so they say “ if it’s not on the shelf, we don’t have it.”

Walmart? There's two close to me and I've never seen anything black powder. Theres an Academy and they don't have anything black powder. There's four or five gunshops and they don't have anything. There's seven pawnshops and only one carries black powder stuff. They have caps every now and then. And plenty Pyrodex. They might have a couple revolvers and a rifle. Way over priced.
This is in Abilene, TX

Don’t waste effort with the regular employees, talk to the manager or assistant manager. most floor workers don’t have the time to look or just don’t want to, so they say “ if it’s not on the shelf, we don’t have it.”
Here when you ask about something not on the shelves they either say “Nnaawww” or “if you don’t see it we ain’t got it”

Walmart? There's two close to me and I've never seen anything black powder. Theres an Academy and they don't have anything black powder. There's four or five gunshops and they don't have anything. There's seven pawnshops and only one carries black powder stuff. They have caps every now and then. And plenty Pyrodex. They might have a couple revolvers and a rifle. Way over priced.
This is in Abilene, TX
What different Walmarts stock varies by location. Even within a few towns of eachother.
The one a few minutes from home from me stocks almost no hunting stud of any kind, if I drive to the one near work, about 25/30 minutes away, they have a lot of hunting stuff (including modern black powder stuff) in season and some stuff Even in the off season. Another one about 30 minutes east has a decent amount, less than the one near work but more than the one near home.

It all depends on market demographics. Might have to explore a little further out.

Full disclosure.... It did kind of help that the employee is somewhat of a friend of mine. But I did just happen to find him near that department at the time.

I asked him to tell me if he saw the muzzle loading display coming out but I just happened to find it because I checked sporting goods every time I go in. I remember last year it came out a little bit later if I remember correctly.

This is in Abilene, TX
What Brokennock said. I live in a rural Southwest Florida town with plenty of rednecks. If I go to the Walmart 30 mi away closer to the coast they have very little in the way of gun stuff but their fishing section is much larger than my local Walmart.

This is in Abilene, TX
Never any caps in any DFW metromess area W-marts either.

Not going to drive around checking various Walmarts and other outlets. Local hardware usually has powder and caps. If they don't I'll go online and let the UPS truck burn the gasoline.
To each his own , but keep in mind you'll have shipping( $13), hazmat($23), and some place an adult signature fee($4.50) on top of the price being close to double ($12 per 100 CCI ) . Gas is $3.50 a gallon and caps are $5.62 per 100 .

Back